Week 4 Link

This forum is for the 201 Class preview testers and discussion.
imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:37 pm

Hi Greg and folks,

I would agree that week 1 should be split into 2 weeks.

The printing exercise seems to be of questionable utility -- perhaps because I still do not have a printer!
(but it seems that more and more non-pro photographers are not printing at all but are uploading their images to photo sites for dissemination and viewing)

Chapter 4 looks great as is -- clear and highly informative.

Art

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:47 pm

Everyone,
I am looking hard at the Printing Assignment and may expand it to a optional exercise or add in output for web and screen display.  As Ganna has seen the final output depends heavily on the destination.  To that end I wanted to clear up some of the mystery of the printer and why your prints do not match the monitor.  The assignment is designed to force you to output to a printer and to figure out what needs to be done to the image to make that output acceptable.

It needs to move.  Week 1 seems to be too soon and week 4 seems to be too late.  Perhaps as an optional assignment it would be more like the advanced images in CM101.  something you could try if you wanted to but can skip if you feel no need.

Additional thoughts before I dissect? 
Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:09 pm

Greg, I feel it is very important to understand the difference in treatment for different outcomes

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:30 pm

Hi
This is something I have struggled with. I would appreciate the opportunity to understand more.
I think its quite a big topic to have as an optional extra.
Given the technical nature versus the more intangible 'seeing' could it be a pre course extra and those who are not interested could come in later.
I am still on holidays so I can't review the course notes and cant recall exactly how it fitted in.
So this suggestion may be really not workable.
On my way home now so I with lots of imagesdand a few questions

Julie

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:43 pm

I like the idea of optional assignment.

Art

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:36 pm

How does this feel...
After Week 4 I would like to add an additional week I have been thinking of calling: "pulling it all together". 
This week would start with the printing exercise, use the seeing techniques to focus your analysis, and then ask you to take 2 of my images and 2 of your images through your process and finish all the way to a print.

It would give us the opportunity to revisit the weekly highlights and review all of the different things we cover in the class with the added bonus of asking for a final output.

Greg

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:33 pm

The last week sounds like an excellent idea to me.

About the number of weeks:  how many hours a day are you anticipating that course members will devote to reading/working on the material?

Art

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:03 pm

I have 2-4 hours per week as a target for the actual class time.
Additional time on your own is always going to happen.

Greg

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:56 pm

One would have to devote considerably more than 2-4 hours per week to really comprehend and apply the material you're presenting.
I think you may have an 8 week course here (at least).
(I understand that that may not be practicable for some -- but if the class members aren't able to make a greater time investment, the course is going to peter out I fear.)

I wonder what other folks think --

Art

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:58 am

Hi Greg

I suspect its going to take me more than 2-4 hours per week!
You may be underestimating your knowledge, and overestimating mine.
Like Ganna I have just learnt as I have gone along and have major gaps in my knowledge.
Some of what you present means that I have to fill gaps before I can even begin.
Its not a criticism and I am always delighted to learn more and have those 'oh that's how its done moments'.
But it does take time.
Is it possible to think about each section being allowed 2 weeks for those who are slower, or those who have lots of commitments.
I realise this may not suit you at all but I am just putting it out as a suggestion

BTW it looks like it will be a fantastic course

Julie

Return to “CM201 Beta Testers”