Week 4 Link

This forum is for the 201 Class preview testers and discussion.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jun 05, 2014 11:44 pm

Here is the link to Week 4
This is a work in progress and I have yet to devise the assignments for the week.
I think you will see what you really need to do and maybe the assignments are going to be more self directed.

http://curvemeister.com/curvemeisterwp/?p=790

Feedback is as always welcome...
Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:27 am

Thank you Greg. I will be away for about 10 days, but will follow this on my tablet and comment later.
God bless
Martin

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:55 am

Thanks Greg.  I will get to it.

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:29 am

thanks Greg

I will be away for 4 weeks from this Thursday.
Travelling without a computer but will have my phone so when there is wifi I will be able to keep in touch.
I might print off week 4 for some plane reading.
Its a long way to anywhere from Australia.

thanks for all the time you are putting into this

Julie

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:44 pm

Greg I've worked through week 4 and again this is excellent stuff. I really like the way you mix the more advanced and the basics ie setting the sample points. Makes it very clear and to the point.
You've really set my mind turning with many of the points you are making. As said before, as one of  people who never had propper training in photography and learning by self study and mistakes, you do not know questions to or investigate what you do not comprehend. Thank you for putting those little seeds in my mind, perhaps one more meaning of "learning to see"
  I've listened to a g+ article by Trey Ratcliff and he was talking about believeable colours. A mistake is to supersaturate al three primary colours in the image (talking about HDR) Ok to supersaturate for instance a red object, but greens and blues (esp the sky) should look normal or believeable or else you will get the ugly HDR look
Again thank you for your time and effort with this course so far and even now you've elevated me to a next levell

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:11 pm

Martin,
This is great stuff thanks.

re: supersaturation...be minful of the HK effect. the lesson iin Week 1 about printing comes back in Week 5 as we pull it all together.  If you supersaturate any image you risk making it un-printable.  Knowing the physical limits of the printing process you might choose to use is a huge part of the process as the final output should always be a consideration for your process.

If you go beyond what you can print you will never be satisfied with what does actually come out of the print process and then the tail chase begins.  you end up going in circles trying to compromise over what you can see on the monitor and what you can get in the print.

Take a look at this gallery.  http://groessphotography.com/?page_id=182  Every image in the gallery printed as it appears on the monitor.  All of the color is intact in fact this is the results of my pursit of output matching the monitor.  this is the contents of my spring show that kind of de-railed the CM201 videos for a while.

Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:39 pm

Thanks so much Greg, you just saved me hours of wasted time and tears. If  I may quote Picasso "The condition of discovery is outside ourselves; but the terryfying thing is that despite all this, we can only find what we know" (Picasso on his struggle to define cubism in Art)

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:58 pm

I'm glad to be of help Martin. 

So as you all look at the 201 class in a more complete form; and look back at week 1... is it too much?  Should I split week 1 into 2 separate sections??  I feel like the printing excercise is probably pooly defined at that point and worse yet dismissed until now...

Thoughts??

Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:31 pm

Yes, I still think its too much. Split in two or strech first session timewise. Just my 2c worth

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:23 pm

Hi
Still on holidays.  We get 4 weeks leave a year in Australia.
Have not really had the opportunity to look at week 4 but will be home soon.
I do agree that week 1 is too much. 
It needs to be split up or just run over 2 weeks.
I think it's just too much but it's only my opinion.

Julie

Return to “CM201 Beta Testers”