You guys have been kind of quiet...

This forum is for the 201 Class preview testers and discussion.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:16 pm

Is there anything you want to tell me??

have I lost your interest?

Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:47 pm

Be patient with us, we're still here  :)

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:39 pm

Oh I am...
I just wanted to know you still liked me... ;)

Greg

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:37 am

Still here
have loved the video but have not yet read the notes

I hate reading on a screen (showing my age I think) so I have copied and pasted into a word document (I will not show this to anyone else, promise)
I have had to change the font size and colour for easy reading.
Also needed to adjust the size of some of the images
I don't know if you have considered this or not for when the class runs
I guess its early days but I just thought I would mention it as I always printed my notes when doing the class previously

I have been very busy but plan to read them this weekend

the video was great
well planned and executed
You are right - I will need to take notes
I wonder when people do the class if they could have the option of downloading or buying the videos (paying extra for them of course)
I don't know if its the same in the USA but here the internet plan you buy has a gigabyte limit on it so for some people going back to re-watch can eat into their allowance and tonight my connection is so slow its buffering every 60-90 seconds. 

When I can watch it again I will give more detailed feedback but I was very impressed at the detail and explanations given

Julie

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks for week 3. I think it is a very good framework for a subject that is much wider/fuller. Its like this to me: when I know very little about trees and rivers, then a tree is just a tree and a river just a river. Once I start learning more, then a tree is not just a tree, it is a TREE and a river changes to a RIVER. Then when I think I know a lot more about it, a river again is just a river and a tree just a tree. The more I learn, the more I realise how little I know  and you are busy changing trees and rivers into TREES and RIVERS for the second time.
I do not have an art background and realize how important visual language is and how overwhelming it looks like at present. How can I improve this B&W image to tel my story and how to get the tones and luminosity to say that (how do you say it in visual language?) Mountains of learning ahead :D
Your video is excellent and a great basis for a beginner. Having the tool and learning how to apply it. I already experience 201  as an incentive for greater things and more study.
I agree with Julie as far as copying the content. Hope it's OK with you. I copy it and store as pdf file and like reading from my tablet. Also promise not to leak it to the enemy :) 

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Mar 15, 2014 2:45 pm

We are looking a the Font and screen sizing from the website. 

It is at default values currently because of the Wordpress template. 
Admittedly i hate it too.  I have asked Mike to adjust the CSS to make the default paragraph font larger and darker.  I have aging eyes as well.

I am actively working on Week 4 and I am hoping all of this has flowed together.  If you think of any inconsistency or reversals that have been stated please feel free to make a point of them. 

Greg

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:11 pm

Hi Greg,

I seemed to have missed the prior announcement that week 3 had been posted.
I will read it forthwith.

Cheers,
Art

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:41 pm

Greg, do you use programs like Nik Silver Efex Pro or Topaz B&W Effects? I presume it depends on the specific image.  With your workflow, do you sometimes edit the colour image to a certain degree before changing it to B&W. Perhaps I'm running ahead now.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:29 pm

I tried all of those and well I did not like them. 
I probably did not spend enough time on them. 
I could see using them to great effect in a tonality sense. 

Personally, usually do some combination of the split channels process.  It varies based on the needs of the image.

For images that I know I am going to make a Black and White of I usually over exaggerate the colors to some extent especially in the yellow and cyan areas.
I have found that for most of the work I do, I usually throw out the blue channel and curve the red and green with some masking.  It is really image dependent though. 

Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:20 pm

Greg, this week is very well presented, I cannot find anything to add or expand on. Great thing is that I'm going to delve into my archives and would surely get better results this time around.
Some aspect I've been thinking and playing around with, is to do a similar edit as yours, leave one in colour mode, then play with it in Nik Siver efex and compare that with the same one fully done in CM. Interestingly, some are beter and some not, though I find that the Nik way is mostly quicker. Of course, the more you practice the faster you get. Again, thanks for your hard work and help building us up.     

Return to “CM201 Beta Testers”