Week 1 Link

This forum is for the 201 Class preview testers and discussion.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:44 pm

try again and see if the changes I made help.  the page loaded in about 10 seconds for me.
Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:19 pm

Thanks, yes, its working fine now. Time to go to bed for me now; will read through it tomorrow.

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:47 pm

Yes, working now for me as well.

Art

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:29 am

Hi
I was able to access it on Friday with no problems
had a busy weekend so have only skimmed it so far

Initial impressions are

well written
clear and concise

I did the colour test and scored 100%. Feeling very clever but probably just genetically lucky.
Looked at the image differences and could only find 7 in the 10 minutes I could be bothered looking
So I have learnt already I am lacking in some persistance or obsessiveness - no surprise there.
I will be doing some more tonight - will let you know how I go.

I am presuming you are asking me to give this a test run and actually do what is being asked?
I thought it was one thing to read it, but another to actually have a go

looking forward to tonight when I can explore more

Julie

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:09 am

By all means give the work a go. 
I want you to find the areas you think I need to revise or remove, challenges and problems, and things that just do not work for you.
The hardest part without a conference call will be the "seeing" aspect. Unfortunately it is also one of the biggest parts of the class. 
We can do a call in the near future if it will help you. 

Its all very subjective and I am open to discussion and revision.  Part of this is a "Step Into My Mind" mentality and I have to help you see the things I see. 
You guys might not be the content experts but you are the student "experts"; If you get it and it makes sense then I can make it work going forward.

Please let me know if you think this is too much for 1 week as that is one of my primary concerns.

Greg

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:13 am

Greg,

I have a question about the Spot the Differences assignment. You say use only your eyes and Photoshop zoom tools. The images on screen in the lesson text are very small -- too small to see much on my screen. If I click twice on each image I get two much larger images, which are too large to fit together on one screen, so I have to go back and forth between them, but then the differences are obvious because the parts that are different noticeably change in the transition. So, on the one hand they seem too small, and the other too large. What would you like us to do here?

Cheers,
Art

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:09 am

If you download them you can do a side by side in Photoshop.  Just don't do a difference on the image...

I see the problem and I am open to a creative solution that allows for the larger images to be used.  You need them for the detailed stuff...
Greg

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:22 pm

I copied the larger images into Photoshop and stacked them -- the composite file size is 1792 x 2688, which is large enough to see the differences, especially when zoomed in.
Suggestion: Instead of presenting them side-by-side in the lesson,  consider presenting a thumbnail of the stacked version which when clicked opens up the large version that can be copied and pasted into PS.

Cheers,
Art

P.S. What was for me the 10th change took a long time to find. It's going to be interesting to discuss which changes different people spotted early on which took much longer, as I think these represent different "visual filters" that people bring to images. For example, I didn't find the 10th change for a quite a while because I was subconsciously using a mental "look for color change" filter.
Attachments
cm-stacked-images-thumbnail-jpg-7
cm-stacked-images-thumbnail-jpg-7 (39.4 KiB) Viewed 8662 times

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:07 pm

Interesting...
So overall what did you think of the process?  How much time did it take?
Greg

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:48 pm

I thought it was a great exercise (and training).  All together, it took me about 30-40 minutes, but some portion of this time was spent investigating whether or not you had introduced a color cast in the road in the second image as the 10th change. I was at one point pretty sure that you had, which I thought was a subtle test of our acumen, but then I became increasingly unsure and  finally moved on.  Like Julie, I detected about 7 changes in about 10 minutes, but the last three, especially the last one, took a surprisingly long time.  In fact, I decided to take a few minutes break to look at another image I've been working on, and when I returned to it, I saw the change immediately. Because it was in a portion of the image I had already examined several times, I realized I was (unknowingly) focusing on a different visual dimension than was relevant to detect this particular change.

I think this is an extremely useful exercise, but like all exercises should be repeated so that one get better at it, and can evaluate one's visual thought processes and how one goes about "seeing".
I have two suggestions: 1) prepare several more of these altered images for the members of the class to analyze, for each of us to practice bringing to the surface of our awareness specifically how we are going about doing the exercise; 2) give the class a complex photo, like this one, with a lot happening in it, and each member will make 10 changes for the rest of the class to analyze. It would be useful and fun both to decide what changes to make, and also provide more material for us to work with.
It's possible that we could spend a week just on these exercises, particularly if we attempt to go deeper into becoming more aware of how we see, and to try to articulate what "visual filters" are  required to see which changes (e.g., form vs color).  (Of course, these are issues that you will focus on throughout the course, so, in the context of the entire course,  these suggestions may not expeditious.)

Well, just some ideas--

Cheers,
Art

Return to “CM201 Beta Testers”