Week 1 Link

This forum is for the 201 Class preview testers and discussion.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:04 pm

Art,
If you needed a print what would you do??  Where do you send it??

Same thing for the Ring Around.

Greg

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:24 pm

OK, I'll ask a photographer friend of mine where he has his images printed.

Cheers,

Art

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:05 am

Art,
Serious question...You never get prints made? 
I am surprised your images that i have seen were very printable...

Greg

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:21 am

Thanks Greg, but, no, I haven't had any printed.  I'd like to, but I'm been avoiding dealing with the "where to send them to have printed" question, or which printer to purchase. (A set of ink cartridges here in the UK for the better Canon printers costs the equivalent of $134. And some of the reviews suggest that these printers have a ravenous appetite for the ink.)
So, I've been deferring (i.e., procrastinating) facing this issue.
I think your course will make me confront it!

Cheers,
Art

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:58 pm

Is there a local convenience store that you can send to on-line?  In the states we have services like Costco which will provide a printer profile for you to match to if you want to send prints through them.  You might want to look at a local business that does that kind of thing.

Sorry to be so US centric...It's a bad assumption on my part...

Greg

imported_artmar

Postby imported_artmar » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:22 pm

I've done a google search and there are several online businesses offering printing services. So, we should be set to go.
(I moved from the US to the UK only three years ago, so I can't say I'm not still to some (more or less) large degree US centric!)

Cheers,
Art

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:48 am

Hi

finally back on board. Two horror weeks at work when I have just done nothing in the evening and guests on the weekend.

so here are my thought for what it is worth

I think its too much for a week.
As much as I would like to devote more time I just have other things that need to be done
When I thought about how much time I would really have to devote to this I really would only have got to printing the rings by the end of a week
I don't know how to do this and suspect it would take me quite a bit of time to figure it out
I am one of those people who have only mastered what they need in photoshop and the rest remains a mystery

I think its at least a 2 week start - maybe more
301?

I am a little confused by the card exercise
there are so may differences I don't even know how to begin listing them all
It felt like I needed to know a bit more what you were wanting
the seeing exercises are great and clearly explained

I know Art had a problem with the competitive nature of some of this but I would like to offer a different opinion
I know when a correction is better than mine, and if its said or unsaid it does not change it
I also think that I might have a different goal for a particular image and that will affect the outcome
I might be aiming for a dreamy, soft focus image while someone else might aim for a sharp, saturated, hyper realistic image.
The images would be very different - hopefully - and responses would also differ
I think it matters if I have achieved my aim and would be happy to take constructive criticism and be compared to what others have achieved
this site is so supportive, and so quick to shut down the nastiness prevalent in the online community, I have no concerns

I think the colour test is great
I did well, but I think its genetics not brains that made that happen
If, however, I discovered that I had difficulty discerning some colours that can only be helpful

I will try and do more this weekend but I think you are really on the right track but may be moving a little too fast for me
I think what you are trying to teach is fascinating but it will take some reflection as well as doing
I would perhaps suggest that you ask us to keep a journal (I know its more work).
I facilitate nursing students and spend much of my time trying to get them to 'see' as a nurse
some of the most important learning moments for them are the times they reflect on what they have been doing
the journal they keep allows them to see their progression, or their challenges, and is really useful

thanks for all the time and effort you have been putting into this
Julie

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:13 pm

Greg, please don't think I'm arrogant and presumptuous, but is this  the right place to say what we want to ( also want to see)  learn in this course? I do not know yet what the whole 201 involves, or should specifics be dealt with outside this course.  I'm talking about dealing with the zone system in editing; how to deal with colour blemishes (ie red blotches) in a face etc.
I realize that you have more or less finished the frame and contend of the course and of course it cannot have 25 sections to keep us busy for the rest of the year (although I wouldn't mind ;D); perhaps before you finalize the course...

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:17 pm

Hi Greg
I am also hoping the zone system is covered
Julie

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:34 am

There is a whole section devoted to tonality in the Zone system.  It's coming. Try reading up on the zone system as it exists as an exposure system and think of ways to apply it to the digital darkroom.  We have RAW and Pins and curves...

In fact here is the week 2 overview...I am working on screen shots and examples for this and will try to have something ready soon.

Week 2:
Seeing: Ordinary, Sharpened, Heightened, and Transfigured Vision
Seeing: Vision Deadeners
Seeing: Playing the Simile Game
Tonal Contrast: it’s all there in Black and White…
Building good contrast leads to great images.
Changing the Channel: Not just a Television clicker task...
Using a variation of The Zone System in Curvemeister.

Julie,
Your responses are valued as I am worried about losing people in the process. Right now I am thinking Week 1 is a two week session in a one week bag...I'll have to figure that one out.  Would a video of the ring around assignment or making it a part of the conference call be helpful?  The whole of the "seeing thing" is really getting you to practice it and for you to intentionally try to expand what you see in the frame and in the world around you. 

Martin,
As for active re-touching...I'm not quite sure we are the best place to teach that aspect of Photoshop as there are as many ways to do it as there are opinions on the U.S. Government.  That being said we can work on some things on the side if you want.  I personally use a tool called Portrait Pro to do my facial retouching.  It can be as brutal as a sledge hammer or as soft as a feather.  Kind of like Curvemeister...

Greg

Return to “CM201 Beta Testers”