HSB Masking...

This is the forum board for the CM4 Dev Team.
leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:23 pm

Attached is a screenshot from Blackmagic Design's DaVinci Resolve UI, showing how that application allows users to create masks using HSB curves.

Horizontal HSB curves, coupled with the ability to create corner curve points would enable us to create a mask this way in CM4. We've already discussed how this kind of functionality would be a helpful (and powerful) method for creating skin masks - but at that point I was thinking about the hue curve being sufficient. Since last week's discussion about neutral masking I can see that the saturation curve would also be helpful. Color Mechanic makes a point of mentioning that colors can be targeted within specific tonal ranges - and the L parabola curve idea is an extension of that idea of restricting color adjustments to specific tonal ranges (or at least modulating an adjustment across specific zones).

I think that offering an HSB-style mask builder in addition to allowing people to select color channels a la CM3 would be really powerful and it would make using HSB elsewhere within the application more intuitive.

I'd really like to see something along these lines - what do you guys think of this?

Lee.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:52 pm

Attachments
hsb_masks-jpg
hsb_masks-jpg (227.29 KiB) Viewed 5644 times

Return to “Curvemeister 4 Beta”