Curve highlight overlay UI ideas...

This is the forum board for the CM4 Dev Team.
leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:38 pm

Hi guys,

I am attaching a few variations of different ways in which the UI could indicate which areas are subject to highlighted curve points. As mentioned on Friday, CM3 allows for users to select a color overlay, but I think that we could do better for people than that - and I think that if the color variation techniques that Greg and I are working with are going to get any traction with other users, we need a better overlay method.

The ideas attached are just sketches of what could be done - I can mock up any other ideas that you may have, and modify any of the images attached to this post.

I think that the most important function to add to the overlay(s) will be allowing users to toggle between the overlay showing the active or inactive area. For example, during the Lab contrast pin move (in the color variation process) I would want the overlay to show the inactive areas, so that I could get a better look at what was happening to the color of the active region (the greenery in the examples attached).

I will send you both a US Letter version of this grid so that you can have a closer look at each version better.

[Update: In case YouSendIt didn't make it past your spam filter, the larger file (10MB) is available here: https://www.yousendit.com/download/eURCSmI2a0R1YlB2Wmc9PQ)

Looking forward to your feedback...

All best,
Lee.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:37 pm

Hi Lee,
I think of all of the images the easiest one to see what is going on is the middle row left.
It appears to me to be the least visually confusing.

If you can toggle the overlay it might make it much more usable.

Greg

leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:57 pm

Yes, that's my preferred choice - I think that it is the least distracting. I think that the mid-gray would make it much easier to get the color variation moves right - so in terms of building something that better facilitates that aspect of the workflow, I think that this would be a very useful addition.

Ideally I'd like to be able to turn this on with a keyboard shortcut (adding the Alt key to toggle between active/inactive areas)...

I was thinking about your comment about how contrast pinning the A/B curves puts all of the colors in play to a certain extent - it's true, but makes the curve highlight less useful than I'd like it to be for contrast pinning, so I was thinking that perhaps the highlight could be restricted to only those colors that fall between the two contrast pin control points. That should give us a better (more useful) preview; what do you think?

Lee.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 am

Possibly. 
It would be worth a test or two to see if there is enough restriction to make the mask possible.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 4 Beta”