Interactive Hue Clock

This is the forum board for the CM4 Dev Team.
leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:53 pm

I saw the attached diagram in the Memory Colors chapter of the book I'm reading, and it gave me the thought that the hue clocks could (in addition to indicating where skin tones tend to be located) provide more information that would be helpful when correcting 'By the Numbers'.

The values plotted on the diagram are based on a study by C. J. Bartleson of the Eastman Kodak Company, from an article in the January 1960 issue of the Journal of the Optical Society of America, titled “Memory Colors of Familiar Objects.”

The goal of the study was to identify, based on 50 observers (combining “technical” and “nontechnical” viewers alike), which colors were most consistently associated with specific, highly familiar objects. (Objects were named, and subjects were to identify which of an assorted collection of standardized Munsell color samples came closest to representing each one.)

Ten visual objects were selected for which viewers exhibited consistent preferences across the entire group, and those values are plotted on the hue clock.

My own feeling is that people wouldn't see all of these lines at once - they would only see markers that were relevant to the correction they were trying to make (i.e, when correcting the sky people don't need to be presented with information about where the grass should be located on the clock). Also, I think that presenting these indicators in color is unnecessary.

I'm trying to think of what could be done to the UI to make this work - and will post some ideas as soon as I can.

Obviously this all points out two things: we need to find a way to make people aware that these overlays are only guidelines (the sampled area needs to be corrected so as to fall 'near' the guideline - it doesn't need to be parked directly on top of it); and secondly, how will CurveMeister know what memory color a sample relates to? I'm not sure how to tackle the first problem (other than by discussing it during CM101 and in the documentation/Joomla site), but I think that the UI could help with the identification problem. Again, I'll try to mock something up during the week to show you both...

--

It's great to have this board up! My wife just asked me what 'Dev' means - and was suitably impressed when I told her ;)

Cheer,
Lee.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Interesting where they put the grass as well.

Remember these are memory colors rather than actual colors..  If you corrected images to these settings you would have a real tough time convincing me that you were not on a serious drinking binge...

Greg

leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:52 am

Point well taken :)

There are also a few items that would be unreliable: bricks, soil and sand vary too much for any specific values to be of any real use - and as you say, anything that we add needs to be in the appropriate place; for example, the 2:15-2:45 for foliage/7:30 for sky guidelines that you give in CM101 are more appropriate than the values here.

Still, there could be something of real value in this approach if we get at it in the right way...

Lee.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:25 pm

That would work for me....
We might need to do a sample of various colors from different locations to get a more general range.
Greg

leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:13 am

Greg,
Just out of interest - how were the 12:30/2:15-2:45/7:30 positions that you advocate established?

Also - pie in the sky for CM6 ;) - in terms of sampling values from different locations, how about reading the GPS metadata in the image and displaying location specific values? I can dream can't I ;D

Lee.

Return to “Curvemeister 4 Beta”