CM 64 3.2.3 (and later) - Windows 7/CS5?

The Curvemeister 3 beta test. Please post and discuss bugs, screen shots, suggestions, and any other information about your testing. This board is only visible to Curvemeister 3 beta testers.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi Mike - I hope that you're well  ;)

I have just updated my laptop to Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit, so I thought that I'd try to install the CM 64-bit beta (I like beta testing  ;D).

The installation went beautifully smoothly (of course, the installer wasn't looking for CS5 so I had to manually copy the plugin into the PS CS5 plugins folder - but that's no trouble), and seemed to work without a glitch.

However, when I attempt to launch CM 64 from Photoshop CS5 a window appears which says:
This beta product has expired.

Thank you for participating in the CurveMeister beta.
Please check www.curvemeister.com for the latest version.

I notice that the CM 64 bit beta download page only mentions support for CS4 - but I presumed that was to do with the installer looking in the right place for the plugin folder (which can be done by hand). Is there anything that I can do to get 3.2.3 up and running (I had RegEdit open a few minutes ago - so I don't mind getting my hands dirty if need be...)

All the best,
Lee.

Postby -default » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:33 pm

Hi Lee,

Yes, the beta expiration caught me off guard, and I apologize to you and others who were inconvenienced. 

I have made a new version, with no expiration date.  The current version is 3.2.6, and available in the normal location.  Please email me offline if you need this web address.

Two people have reported problems with the 3.2.6 version not installing correctly.  TO get around this, I'd suggest right clicking on the msi located in c:Program FilesCurvemeister.comCurvemeister3, and selecting uninstall.  Then run the new .exe file to install version 3.2.6.

Mike

Mike

leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:53 pm

Thanks for responding so quickly!

The link that I was using (via Google) doesn't have the 3.2.6 version, so I'll send you an email...

Thanks so much for your help  :)
Lee.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:48 am

Mike:

My beta also expired.  The latest version I could find available for download on the website is 3.2.3, but I gather there is a version 3.2.6 available somewhere?  Could you please send me a link to download?

Thanks,

Brian Kipnis

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:44 pm

If you have your email where you bought CM there is a link.  Click on 64.  For some reason, there is a download page that is not THAT current. 

Mike,

My 3.2.6 gives "an out of memory" message.  When I exit, I get the report that CS5 has crashed.  (win 7 64 bit,  cs 5 updated)

(No big deal, I am using the 32 bit version and avoiding beta issues for a while).

Postby -default » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:08 pm

Brian and Steve,

It is possible that your browser is cacheing an earlier version of the page, so pressing f5 may fix it. 

http://curvemeister.com/downloads/curvemeister3_product_FJK/

The out of memory error is probably related to a component of Curvemeister failing to register - several people are running into this problem.  If any of you are in a position to do the following procedure, it will help shed some light on the problem:

1) open the folder C:Program FilesCurvemeister.comCurvemeister3-64 in windows explorer
2) right click on CurveCtl3.ocx, select Properties, and click on the Details tab. The version should be 3.2.7 - if it's an earlier version, then the problem is upstream of where I think it is, and we need to use a different procedure.
3) If you have Windows 7, in the folder view on the left side of the windows explorer window, hold down the shift key, right click on the Curvemeister3-64 folder,and select "Open command window here". ( For Vista, you would run cmd.exe and cd to the folder.)
4) type the command regsvr32 CurveCtl3.ocx
5) you will see a message box that indicates either a success or failure status. If this succeeds, please try running Curvemister again, otherwise please let me know what the error message is.

Mike

Postby -default » Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:49 am

I've heard back from one person so far who has had success with the cmd solution mentioned in the previous post, with one additional caveat: make sure that UAC is turned off during the install process, and/or before you do the regsvr procedure.

I'll add a link to the download page, and will be working on a new version that makes this unnecessary, but for the time being I think we have a workable solution for 64 bit installation.

UAC appears to be preventing the curve portion of Curvemeister - which is based on ActiveX -  from installing correctly.

Disabling UAC in Vista: http://www.petri.co.il/disable_uac_in_windows_vista.htm
Disabling UAC in Windows 7: http://www.petri.co.il/disable-uac-in-windows-7.htm

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:35 am

Hi Mike:

After flubbing a number of times, I now appear to be up and running.  I think your recommendation to disable UAC was essential. Also, just deleting the MSI file did not seem to be enough as the download routine would not complete with just that folder deleted.  I am not sure which route ultimately succeeded, but I think I just ended up deleting the entire root folder as will as uninstalling CM 64 in the control panel.  Even then, as you predicted, after successfully downloading and installing, the curves would not come up in the program.  The CMD entry you suggested was successful and CM now seems to be running again.  I will play around with CM tomorrow and let you know if I encounter any problems.

Thanks again for your amazingly quick and responsive support!

Brian

Postby -default » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:12 am

Version 3.2.8 64 bit is now available in the usual location. 
http://curvemeister.com/downloads/curvemeister3_product_FJK/

Please refresh your browser to ensure you get the 3.2.8 link

This version fixes a problem that prevented the curves component, CurveCtl3.ocx, from registering.

Mike

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:28 pm

3.2.8 works thanks.    I checked the curve file in curvemeister and it was 3.2.8.  Great.

I used that following link...  It is not updated.  I was hesitant to give out the link to the correct page.

http://curvemeister.com/downloads/cm3_beta/

BTW- way OT- supporting multiple versions of windows and 32/64 and multiple versions of PS has got to be tough.  Especially, the win 7/64.  There is a reason that MS did not "fix" certain security problems earlier.  There is a level of security they want to get to, but they and the industry need some hardware.  A rootkit was found that alters win 7/64.....  That was not supposed to happen.  [heavy sigh] 

Return to “Curvemeister 3 Beta”