64 bit install problems

The Curvemeister 3 beta test. Please post and discuss bugs, screen shots, suggestions, and any other information about your testing. This board is only visible to Curvemeister 3 beta testers.

Postby -default » Thu May 21, 2009 9:00 am

I'd like to kick-start my Vespa and chase down the 64  bit installation issue.

Bill, and others, have reported problems with 64 bit not showing up in Photoshop's filter menu.  If you've encountered this problem, perhaps the following will help me to isolate the problem:

Do you know if you were running as administrator during the installation process?  There are two log files (install.log and msi.log) in the :program filescurvemeister.comcurvemeister_3-64 folder that contain information about the install.  If you could email them to me that may help me to isolate the problem.

It may be possible to get Curvemeister on the air by copying curvemeister_3.8bf from c:program filescurvemeister.comcurvemeister_3-64 to c:program filesadobeadobe photoshop cs4 (64 bit)plug-insfilters.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu May 21, 2009 4:28 pm

I've installed CM as administrator. I've not been able to locate CM in C:programsCurvemeister.comCurvemeister3-64. The plug-in is not there.

Michael

Postby -default » Thu May 21, 2009 6:23 pm

Thanks, Michael.  If you could upload the .log files from that same folder (if they are there) that would also be helpful.  At least one other person is seeing an error: "Installation success or error status: 1603" at the tail end of the msi.log file, and this could be the root of the problem.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:46 pm

Hi Mike,

I've had no luck in getting the 64 bit version up and running with my PS CS4.  No matter what I do Curvemeister never appears in the CS4 filters menu.  I've tried to follow all the posted suggestions.

Even if I got it installed I wasn't sure if it was stable enough to give it another try. 

Is it possible to have both the 32 bit and 64 bit versions installed at the same time?

Just wanted to get your advice on spending time to try to figure out what is going on.

Thanks!

Gus

Postby -default » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:43 pm

Yes, you can absolutely install both the 32 and 64 bit versions.  All that is required is that you have the corresponding 32 or 64 bit version of Photoshop installed.

This installation issue has been a roadblock to getting 64 bit out of beta.  Unfortunately, I have only one 64 bit system, and predictably, it works fine every time.  Once installed, I am not aware of any stability issues.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:00 am

Well,

I've just gone over to Windows 7 64 bit, and I now get that install failure highlighted above - msi.log finishes with the same "1603" failure - no curvemeister file in the Curvemeister or Photoshop Filters folder in Program Files.

On the same PC, the 32 bit version fails with a failure pop-up - "Registration of some ActiveX controls and/or Type libraries failed. Installation will finish but the application may not work properly. The following controls couldn't be registered: C:Program Files(86)Curvemeister_3CurveCtl3.ocx". Here, the .8bf does show up in the Curvemeister and Filters folders, but isn't loaded with Photoshop.

On my back up PC, also Win 7 64 bit, but with CS3 rather than CS4 (so no 64-bit version of PS), the file loaded fine, and program working.

I attach the log from the CS4 64 bit load.

Mark
Attachments
msi-log
(39.74 KiB) Downloaded 347 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:46 pm

Bit of an update on the above -

I cleared all refs to the previous installs, and tried a different version - this time CM_64_3.0.13b (instead of 3-64-3.0.16 above), and this gave a more meaningful message - which was the same as the 32 bit version above. It means that the "CurveCtl3.ocx" is failing to be registered - tried to register it manually, which failed with call to DllRegisterServer error code 0x80040200.

Added the CrashRpt.dll which got dropped into the Filters folder in case it helps.

HTH,

Mark
Attachments

[The extension dll has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Postby -default » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:55 pm

Thanks for the info, Mark.  I'll give it a look over and see what the problem is.

In the meantime, we've had some installs that fail on 64 bit vista because of UAC.  If you could temporarily turn off UAC on your Win7 system, and try the install again, I'd appreciate knowing whether this solves the problem.

Here's an article from Microsoft on how to turn UAC off.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975787

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:01 pm

Mike,

No joy I'm afraid - tried native and in compatibility mode with UAC switched off and same results.

Mark

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:43 pm

Mike,

I followed your directions and successfully installed the 3.0.16 version on my 64 bit windows 7 system.  I did some minimal testing and everything seems to work okay.
FYI.

Gus

Return to “Curvemeister 3 Beta”