black and white conversions

The Curvemeister 3 beta test. Please post and discuss bugs, screen shots, suggestions, and any other information about your testing. This board is only visible to Curvemeister 3 beta testers.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:22 pm

George??

Grandma?? is that you?? 

That was a childhood nickname...Wow....
G

;)

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:30 pm

Run along and play, Georgie.
Now my dog is looking at me funny because everyone's gone and I'm still laughing.

Sorry, sometimes you and Fred confuse me.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:35 pm

...(you are eventually going to make it impossible not to name my layers, aren't you?)*, but got quite happily distracted by seeing how the sliders control the layers when seen color against grayscale.

But this will get complicated with adding the blue channel, and using various masks...one distraction and I've lost track of what I'm doing and have to backtrack.

Not if you document your steps (naming) well.  ;)  8)

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:09 pm

Mike, in your screen capture of the CM options there's something that I'm not seeing in my installation of 3.0.1.0. Under "Support Soft Proof" you have "Hibit Sample Conv.". I don't. What's up?  ???

Am I setting PS's soft proof correctly: View/Custom/Gray Gamma 2.2? This makes the image go gray right away before entering CM.

Something's not working as I had expected. When I set the soft proof as above and CM to support it then open the image in CM the R curve doesn't work as it does in the PS interface. I place a point at 78/78 on the R curve (just as I did in my example earlier) and adjust to 78/28. The foreground flower gets darker but not the sky. It's like I'm adding G instead of darkening R. Que pasa?

Also, did I hear that layer blending options can be applied to a layer from within CM? If so, where??

(Note: I'm running Vista Home Premium & CS3.)

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:20 pm

No change in the sky. Slight change in flower. Not what happened when I made a 78/28 point in the PS curves interface.
??

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:44 pm

Am I setting PS's soft proof correctly: View/Custom/Gray Gamma 2.2? This makes the image go gray right away before entering CM.

Howie, if you're setting it before you go into CM, you're losing all the channels--that would explain at least some of this. Set the soft proof in CM, work on it, and then change profiles in PS; see if that helps.  That's why Fred, I mean Mike said ignore the weird colors in PS--great b/w does not necessarily spring from great rgb.

Actually, I guess he said 'ugly' colors.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:54 pm

Set the soft proof in CM, work on it, and then change profiles in PS; see if that helps.

Ok, but where do I do this...

1) dupe the image, set Photoshop's soft proof to Custom, and select "2.2 gamma"

...so that this happens...

2) start Curvemeister, and make sure the "support soft proof"  option is on (see attached image).  This will give you a monochrome preview image inside of Curvemeister.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:12 pm

Ok, but where do I do this...
Quote from: curvemeister on November 04, 2007, 06:13:16 am
1) dupe the image, set Photoshop's soft proof to Custom, and select "2.2 gamma"

Ok, that is in view/proof setup/custom , I believe.

...so that this happens...
Quote from: curvemeister on November 04, 2007, 06:13:16 am
2) start Curvemeister, and make sure the "support soft proof"  option is on (see attached image).  This will give you a monochrome preview image inside of Curvemeister.

That, unfortunately, I don't know. :)

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:18 pm

Gloria and I have been emailing a bit trying to figure this out.
Here's what I'm seeing in the view/proof setup dialog, and in PS after Gray Gamma 2.2 is selected.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:19 pm

Also, did I hear that layer blending options can be applied to a layer from within CM? If so, where??

Nevermind, missunderstanding on my part.

Return to “Curvemeister 3 Beta”