hidden mask

The Curvemeister 3 beta test. Please post and discuss bugs, screen shots, suggestions, and any other information about your testing. This board is only visible to Curvemeister 3 beta testers.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:13 am

If I bring a grayscale image into CM, and then select a mask, the mask appears under the grayscale curve until I click on the tab, then they both show in the window.

If the grayscale image is composed entirely from the blue channel in PS, I get only the alpha 1 mask in the mask carte, but the full pick of masks from the dropdown menu. Should the masks in the dropdown menu be grayed out? Or should the L channel and the K channel masks, for example, be in the mask carte?

If I open CM on a grayscale image based on a desaturated RGB , I get all masks in the mask carte, but the K channel,for one, doesn't show up when selected. It looks inverted, and only shows up when I press the invert mask icon.

I certainly hope Greg straightens this out before I get home from work tomorrow.

Gloria

Postby -default » Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:18 am

Hmmm - an interesting one.  It's been a while, but I believe the correct behavior is to allow only the alpha channels as masks, and perhaps the channel itself.  The reason for this is that Photoshop restricts access to the rest of the image data if only a single channel is selected for modification by a filter.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:26 am

It's been a while, but I believe the correct behavior is to allow only the alpha channels as masks, and perhaps the channel itself.

only been a few hours... :)
I wasn't sure about what should be there, but the L channel and the K channel are different, so I figured they may be useful. In the other image, though, many and various masks were showing, though the K channel was showing up inverted, I think. And it didn't show up in the preview window as a proper upstanding mask should. Until I hit "invert".

Furthermore:
There should be some interesting applications with the HSB mode on b&w images. If I open the red channel in CM, for instance, I could use the mask to darken a sky in a very possibly no-noise way. I wish I had time to mess with this right now. Anyway, the mask doesn't show up unless I click on the tab at the top.

Return to “Curvemeister 3 Beta”