rotating contrast pins

The Curvemeister 3 beta test. Please post and discuss bugs, screen shots, suggestions, and any other information about your testing. This board is only visible to Curvemeister 3 beta testers.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Oct 27, 2007 4:18 am

I have had a little trouble getting contrast pins to rotate. Turns out that if they are set on the bottom left, as in the screenshot, they will generally not rotate counterclockwise. Unless I bring the rotate tool down right over the pins and move it to the left, sometimes right out of the window. Sometimes that does it.
The other exception is wgCMKY. (which always seems to be an exception) The tool rotates contrast pins wherever I place them in that mode.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:59 pm

Gloria,
I complained about a simular bug last week...or so i thought..

Try this after you have the points selected bring the mouse into the curve window and try to make a small circular motion with the left mouse button clicked.  I complained that it was counter intuitive but it seems to work for me...I'm still testing that one...

Ok..so night photography has it's dangers...
Maybe I'll take up skydiving....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:40 pm

Ahh Greg, then...nevermind. The small circular motion works in certain places, but what works for me consistently, for both ends of the curve, is to rotate from the bottom. I am sure I will be bringing up the same old stuff as I gain understanding of what CM can do, so I better start apologizing now. I will try not to bring up the word 'reset' again in any form, however. :)

Skydiving, now that's more like it. How many jumps do you have, Howie? Thousands, right?

Postby -default » Sun Oct 28, 2007 12:47 pm

There have been several questions about rotation, and I think the problems are due to confining yourself to the margin of the graph during the rotate operation. 

It might help to think of your initial click as forming a handle to the point between the two ends of the rotation, and as you move in a circle around that point, it rotates the points.  Although you do need to click initially in the margin to start the rotation, you can then move almost anywhere during the rotate. I'm trying to duplicate the interface of the crop tool in Photoshop, where you can rotate the area by clicking outside the crop rectangle.

It's obvious that this feature would be more useful if the interface were more intuitive, so I'm open to any ideas or suggestions you may have.

I'll take the plunge and say what everyone is thinking:  "Skydiving has more appeal."

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:42 pm

I always wonder why anyone would jump out af a airplane that the pilot is going to land safely...
I figure if the person flying the plane is staying on why should I go?

I mean perfectly good airplane...I think I should see it through to the landing....

Greg

Postby -default » Sun Oct 28, 2007 3:58 pm

> I figure if the person flying the plane is staying on why should I go?

Maybe it's to get practice for when they don't stay?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Oct 28, 2007 11:55 pm

Practice?  You gotta pratice??

Hmmm...Not sure I want to practice death by plane crash...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:08 am

I'll take the plunge and say what everyone is thinking:  "Skydiving has more appeal."

Mike...a terrible, terrible pun. And once it slipped out, it fell pretty flat.

And Greg--You've just got to try it once. Thirty seconds of free fall is magic. We don't need no stinkin' plane.  (You do get to use a parachute, you know)

As far as the rotating contrast pins, I can't think of any better way to present them. They work fine if you're within the window. I guess what tripped me up is that they also work, though inconsistently, around the border. And you have to click on the border first, so my assumption was that the rotate tool will work as it does when rotating a curve. 

...Is it possible to select the rotate arrow on the border, but when dragged have it snap to a position within the window and have it's range immediately restricted to a small circle revolving around that central point between the two end points? That way it could be released the same way it now is, and reselected the same way as well. 

OR people could just learn how to use it properly, which would be a lot easier.

Gloria

Btw, what is the significance of the dotted red lines? Do they help me do anything or are they ornamental by nature? I like them when I'm working without a grid, but when I have a grid, they seem a little demanding.

Postby -default » Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:04 am

The dotted lines are intended to connect with the numbers along the axis, and they provide an additional way to see which points are selected.  They do busy things up a bit, and if it's important enough, they could be made optional.  I notice, BTW, that Photoshop CS3 now has them - but only during the actual drag operation.

Perhaps I could put DaVinci's Vitruvian Man there, rotating LOL.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Oct 29, 2007 11:16 am

Definitely not important enough to be made optional, in my opinion. I like the look of working without a grid, with a diagonal line, with the red lines. Perfect. Keep that rotating VM firmly in your head.

Return to “Curvemeister 3 Beta”