Numeric Edit Field crash

The Curvemeister 3 beta test. Please post and discuss bugs, screen shots, suggestions, and any other information about your testing. This board is only visible to Curvemeister 3 beta testers.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:07 pm

Numeric Edit Field crash
* Open any file (a blank file works just fine too).
* Use any color space.
* Pick any curve by clicking on it (either around the edge [when the rotate curve icon is active] or by just clicking somewhere in the curve [but not actually on the displayed curve]).
* Ctrl+tab to any corner point.
* Click on one of the two pin values for the chosen pin. You can even click in the area of the value (without having to click on the value itself), just as long as the Numeric Edit Fields appear.
* Change a value for the selected pin either by selecting part of the numeric value (highlighting with the mouse) or by using the arrow keys on the keyboard to move the point.
* Press enter.

This is repeatable 100% of the time for me in v3.0.0.23 and v3.0.1.0 Demo.

The key point in the process is clicking on or near a pin value so that the Numeric Edit Fields become active.

Crash Note 1:
In my tests CM crashes regardless of which value is modified for the selected pin. In other words, you can modify the selected value itself or even select the right value (for the vertical axis) and move the point horizontally (changing the left value) or vice versa.

Crash Note 2:
I’m running Vista Home Premium 32 bit on PS CS3 and have done my tests on files using sRGB 8-bit.

Side Note 1:
Personally, I don’t like that the Apply button retains focus so that ‘Enter’ causes the CM modifications to be applied thereby returning the  user to the PS interface. My preference would be that the user has to actually click on the Apply button or use a keyboard shortcut.

Side Note 2 & Q1: (This note has nothing to with the actual crash report.)
If you choose a curve by clicking on it when the rotate curve icon is active at least one corner value will be changed in the process of picking the curve. This is actually what led me to find this bug since I was trying to restore the values to the positions they were in prior to choosing a curve via the rotate curve icon. Can the behavior be modified so that just clicking on a curve while the rotate icon is active doesn’t cause any rotation? Understandably this could be difficult since we can’t disregard the possibility that the user is clicking and immediately rotating. But hey, since I’m not a coder that’s not my bag of worms to solve. :)

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:28 pm

I got a couple of variations on this theme: if you  delete a point on a curve, and press enter, you are returned to PS as well. If you right click reset, and press enter, you are returned, but if you use the curve reset button, and press enter, you stay safe in CM.
I have a vague recollection that Mike and Derek were discussing some of this...

And Howie's point about values changing just from clicking on a point--I have noticed (in PS as well) it is nearly impossible to click on a point without making a small change. I wish I could do that--worms or no worms. (Howie, was that 'bag of worms' reference a PUN? ) How unlike you :)

Gloria

Postby -default » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:33 pm

Nice crash Howie!  Are you gunning for Gloria's old job or what?

Good points all.  I agree about the enter button and will see about removing the default focus from the apply button. 

Re clicking on a control point, there is a 3x3 "target" area that the mouse needs to move outside of before a control point actually moves.  This logic is not there for the rotate function, and perhaps it should be. Do I have this right?

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:45 pm

Thanks a lot, Mike. Way to make me stay up all night hunched over a keyboard...

Postby -default » Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:57 pm

It's too dark at night anyway to take any pictures...

I think I understand about the "moving point" issue - it involves creating a new point, without initially moving the curve, right?

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Oct 27, 2007 12:53 am

It's too dark at night anyway to take any pictures...

Yet another challenge. Cute.

Yes, when creating a new point, it seems the curve often moves a little. I guess it's no big deal, in fact I'm not sure why it bothers me.
I'm not exactly disgruntled, but I'm far from being gruntled, as PG Wodehouse once said.

I looked at this again, both in CM and in PS. I decided I'm just not being careful enough when setting the points, and it's a whole lot easier when working in a larger curve window.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:26 am

I love night Photography...

Gave me one of my best Red eye challenge photos...A city street with a series of red lights.

For fun i tried the auto red eye tool on that....

no good....
Greg

Postby -default » Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:43 am

Good thing, since there is no green eye tool.  A swap of the a channel would help though in that situation.

Gloria's right though about moving a new point after it's created.  Curvemeister should create a new point without disturbing the curve, then treat it as a normal drag - requiring a 3 pixel threshold - before moving the new point from its original location.  On the list.

Return to “Curvemeister 3 Beta”