Tips of the Day

The Curvemeister 3 beta test. Please post and discuss bugs, screen shots, suggestions, and any other information about your testing. This board is only visible to Curvemeister 3 beta testers.

Postby -default » Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:05 pm

If you have any thoughts on additions to the Tips of the Day file, please post them here and I'll add them.  Humor is welcome.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:09 am

Is there way for us to see the existing ones??

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:06 am

Found 'em.
In the 'help' tab, on the ribbon, "Tip of the Day".

What do you have for us, Greg?

Gloria

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:29 am

LOL...Don't take any wooden nickles??

I'll have to read them...

Greg

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:45 am

Ok..all serious now...

1) Alt-click on the image to show a floating hue clock that will help you see the real colors in your image.

2) Multiple pins on a curve protect other areas of the curve from bending needlessly.

3) Use multiple hue clocks in mixed lighting to get the most out of your image.

4) "Neutral" does not have to be Grey.  You can have a "neutral white" and a "neutral black" as well.

5) Have you tried the LAB color space??  It just might be the right space for your image.

6) Some images benefit from a change of color spaces after an adjustment to get the most out of the image.

7) Try "Thresholding" your images to see the brightest highlight details and the darkest shadow details.

8) Try "Neutral Thresholding" when you just cannot seem to get a color cast out of your  image.

9) You can adjust the sample size of the mouse under Settings>Sample Size.

10) Creating your own pins is a simple way to make colors match from image to image.  See the help files for information on how you can do it.

I'll keep thinking...

Greg

Postby -default » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:37 am

On my system it's:
C:Program FilesCurvemeister.comCurves 3tips.txt

Thanks for the tips!  I've added yours already.  I'm even using the wooden nickels.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:21 am

How do you want these tips to read, Mike? It seems to me that since mostly beginners are reading these, they should be very specific. For example, two tips that already exist need more info, IMHO. Perhaps more like:

~ The skin mask is an excellent tool for targeting skin tones in an image. Find it in the Mask Carte by ...how will we find it next version, Mike?
~You can select multiple curve points at the same time by shift-alt clicking on them. ( is that what this tip is getting at?)

And you, Greg. (pointy finger at Greg)
Number seven.
How do you do "threshold" your image in CM? (you guys have been holding out on me)

Now, some new ones that need some
rewording:

~Steepen your mask curve for more contrast. The whitest portions of the mask will allow the most change to your image as you make your color mode adjustments.

~Clicking the black and white mask icon will invert your mask and give you a new range of values.

~Right click in the preview window to hide and show the Ribbon.

~The keyboard commands for zooming options are shown in the View tab.

~Right click on the Home tab to customize your Toolbar.

~Already have a curve orientation preference? Change orientation in Settings > Black on Left.

~Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, by the time you do criticize them, you will be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes. Don't even think about it, Mike. :)

Gloria

Postby -default » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:38 am

~Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. Then, by the time you do criticize them, you will be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes. Don't even think about it, Mike. :)

That one's too good to lose.  Anything that keeps people interested in the tips, including humor, is going to make it more likely that they will keep reading them.

There is now a wiki where you can type the tips in directly.  Just click on Edit and type away:
http://curvemeister.com/wiki/index.php?title=Tip_of_the_Day#Tips_of_the_day

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:49 am

Gloria,
Try these out and see what you think...

http://curvemeister.com/wiki/index.php?title=Articles

Greg

Postby -default » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:31 pm

Very nice.  All of them are top notch. The lizard tail has a flat spot that should is a bit on the scary side, particularly for beginners, but for this particular image it works very well.

Return to “Curvemeister 3 Beta”