Nomenclature for Pinning

The Curvemeister 3 beta test. Please post and discuss bugs, screen shots, suggestions, and any other information about your testing. This board is only visible to Curvemeister 3 beta testers.

Postby -default » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:46 am

Hi Gloria!  How was N.Y.?  See anything cool like the D200?

I've got time for basically one more version before monday, though of course there will be more releases after that.  For masking, I'm thinking in terms of going back to the "No Mask" button, instead of a reset button, and there will be one curve saved for each mask.

I think that will address the issue of mask compare (click No Mask, then re-click your mask), as well as the ability to compare two different masks, each with its own curve.

Mike

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:56 am

Hi Mike. NYC is one frenetic city. I saw many strange and wonderful things! You should have had Curvemeister in that trade show--maybe next year?

Postby -default » Sun Oct 21, 2007 4:41 am

I would enjoy doing a presentation at one of these shows.  A booth is probably not going to happen, though never say never. 

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:19 am

I'll try this in v.22 but it did not matter where I clicked...the rotation was a described. If I went to the left the rotation stopped at the center line from the bottom of the frame...

Hi Gloria...
Greg

addendum: whatever you did in v.22 this now works as expected.  From the same image you can now rotate the curve freely about the image.

Great work Mike...I'm thinking infomercial here..it dices it slices.....but wait there's more... it makes...

Postby -default » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:06 pm

Hi Greg - it may be that the slope is limited if you confine yourself to the lower or upper margin of the curve.  Try moving in a circle instead, centered on midpoint between the two points that you are rotating, and I think you'll get a better result.

DC?  Great - see if you can get some of the kinks out of the political process while you're there :-)

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:01 pm

um...I'm not sure kinks...and political process belong in the same sentence...Idaho has a senator that has trouble there....

I'll try the rotation you described...it did not seem intuitive to me but I'll give it a go...

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:06 pm

Hey there, Greg. Looks like you're having a good time in DC! That image of you're son and the Washington monument sure has a nice dramatic sky--tut tut, looks like rain. I've been thinking in masks a lot--that image is perfect for a b mask (I think) to bring up a little more detail in the monument...  btw, I don't think one can reasonably expect you to refine the political process while on vacation, Greg. Shame on you, Mike.  :)

Gloria

Mike, this version is working much better. I didn't think the rotate problem I had was that much of a bummer, (it took a weird curve adjustment to set it up) but it wasn't an unusual adjustment to use to prepare a mask. So I'm really happy with the improvement. One thing I noticed--when I left, I could make a contrast adjustment on a mask, and then slide the red dotted area up and down the histogram. Though that was a new move to me, I started using it quite a bit. Where did it go? Why is it gone?

Just wondering, really. Maybe it could come back later as a more obvious adjustment.

Postby -default » Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:46 pm

Hmm - AFAIK, dragging points should still be the same.  Is it maybe that the points are not being selected the same as before, so you may need to ctrl-click on them to get both ends selected?

Yes, some of the previous curve rotations were kind of pretty, like pinwheels.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:54 pm

I finally got back to this, thanks to Greg's threshold comment. And another example of how much better the ability of CM to find shadow and highlight points in an image than that of PS. I rarely use the PS method because you can't see the image, and therefore have to hunt around with the eyedropper to get an exact fix, if you need one. So much easier in CM, where you can see just what you're doing.

As far as you're comment about dragging points, yep, it must have changed while I was away. (And really for the better, since I didn't intend for it to happen.) But if I select both end points after making a vertical adjustment, I can still drag the new curve horizontally, which is a very easy way broaden the masking possibilities. I always try this before adjusting the curve again--very handy.

Like Greg said, it slices, it dices...

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:53 pm

So is it going to be called contrast pining
http://curvemeister.com/support/curvemeister3/help/ / Contrast Pinning and Rotation

OR double pinning?
http://curvemeister.com/wiki/index.php?title=Double_pinning

Having two names is confusing.

Return to “Curvemeister 3 Beta”