Iconise the CM dialog leads to puzzlement

The Curvemeister 3 beta test. Please post and discuss bugs, screen shots, suggestions, and any other information about your testing. This board is only visible to Curvemeister 3 beta testers.
derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:50 pm

Using the dialog window's iconise button (i.e. the left most of the 3 in the top right corner) leads to a rather puzzling situation. The CM dialog disappears down to the bottom of the Photoshop master window, leaving an apparently normal and functioning Photoshop on screen. Except the user just gets "beep" noises whatever they try to do in PS since the CM dialog is modal. It took me a minute to work out what was going on!

Is there a reason for having the iconise button? Given my 2 minutes experience with CM3 I'm not seeing one yet.

Postby -default » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:01 pm

No reason at all.  This is just the kind of feedback I need, Derek.  Thanks.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:28 pm

You might want it just so you can minimize the program with it.

you are not releasing control. You are just allowing the user to minimize the window for a minute.  As long as the program returns to functional state after this it really is not a problem.  More of a cosmetic. 

I for one have used the WindowFlag Key - M key stroke to minimize all windows when I need to.  This would include CM if it is open.  I might need to do something else....

Greg

Postby -default » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:43 pm

Darn, Greg.  Now I agree with you.  If Curvemeister would minimize both itself and Photoshop, and return to normal again, perhaps that would be a useful function.  I'll take a look at how the other plugin's handle this.

Derek has a point that minimizing only Curvemeister is going to make people think their system has locked up.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:08 pm

sorry to muck up the waters...
But glad you are open to suggestions...

Greg

Postby -default » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:22 pm

Not at all, Greg.  Keep the ideas coming

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:42 am

You might want it just so you can minimize the program with it.

you are not releasing control. You are just allowing the user to minimize the window for a minute.  As long as the program returns to functional state after this it really is not a problem.  More of a cosmetic. 

I for one have used the WindowFlag Key - M key stroke to minimize all windows when I need to.  This would include CM if it is open.  I might need to do something else....

Greg

Minimise which program? CM or Photoshop? I don't see a point in minimising CM and leaving a full sized but completely unfunctional Photoshop on screen, which how it is at the moment.

My keyboard doesn't have a WindowFlag key, so I'm not sure what it does. Are you saying that that key doesn't function correctly without the window decoration minimise button? With PS and CM both up, if I click the PS application in my taskbar it minimises, taking CM with it, which is how it should be. The restore works as expected too. With CM up, the PS minimise button (top right corner) actually still works as long as it's not obscured by the CM dialog. (Unless the CM tip dialog is up, in which case things go a little odd.)

No other PS filter has it's own minimise control that I can see. I'm still not sure CM needs one.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:40 am

Derek has a point that minimizing only Curvemeister is going to make people think their system has locked up.

Just thought I'd mention that when I minimized, I also thought that PS had locked up,so I minimized PS to see, and the CM box wasn't there, so I maximized PS again and it opened to CM. I just figured that was how these things worked. :) I personally wouldn't want it to minimize PS as well. The reason I minimized was to see the PS screen.

derekfountain

Postby derekfountain » Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:11 am

The reason I minimized was to see the PS screen.

Why did you want to see the PS screen behind the CM dialog? Doesn't that just show you what the compare button does?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:49 pm

one of the "bugs" in the old version was that you could not restore the CM interface if you used the "flag key-M " to minimize all windows...

I some times do other things with windows while editing photos...Go figure..I don't need to see PSE I use the compare button, but I do think I should be able to close all windows.  Some applications running inside of others like CM running in PS prevent this..they do n ot release control until you comit to a change with ok or cancel.

Greg

Return to “Curvemeister 3 Beta”