Curvemeister 3.0.18 is available

New versions of Curvemeister, including bug fixes and features, are discussed here.
mdavis

Postby mdavis » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:24 pm

(I probably should have this under another thread, but I'll continue here).

No joy.  I downloaded the file Curvemeister3-64-3.2.3.exe and ran the installer.  The curvemeister plug-in is now visible in the Filters menu but I still get the Expiration Date window when I try to load Curvemeister in Win7 CS5 64-bit.  This version is supposed to have the expiration date 'fixed.'

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:57 pm

it is...mine was fixed by this build....hmmm...

Mike??

Postby -default » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:29 pm

Hi - sorry I didn't catch this thread until now.  My best guess at this point is that the installer did not replace CS5's copy of Curvemeister, and old version is still in place.

mdavis

Postby mdavis » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:33 pm

Uh, OK.  The date on the .8bf files I have are 2-22-2010.  How do I go about obtaining the newer version from the installer?  What is the date on the current 64-bit file?

Also, are you updating the installer to recognize CS5 now?  I sent it manually to the Plug-Ins folder, but which one?  There are 2 folders for a CS5 install, one in Program Files (x86) and one for Program Files.  I don't recall now which I used but I don't want to mess things up by running things multiple times (registry errors, etc.).

Thanks, Mike.  No big hurry on this since I can still use CM in CS5 32-bit, but with increasing availability of plug-ins within CS5 in 64-bit, I'm using CS5 almost entirely in 64-bit mode now and all my preferences are set in that mode.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:36 pm

The "(x86)" folder is the 32 bit version...the "Program Files" folder is the 64 Bit version. 
I'll check my time stamps later today I am not on a PC with the latest versions installed.

If you copy the 32 bit 8BF into the 64 bit folder it would most likely crash PS. 

Greg

mdavis

Postby mdavis » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:41 pm

I know about the two folders for 32 and 64-bit programs.  My 32-bit Curvemeister works in CS5 but I get the "Expired" notice when I try to run CM in the 64-bit CS5.  Curvemeister does show up in the Filters menu in CS5 64-bit but will not run due to the apparent expiration date limit.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:05 pm

You might try starting from scratch.

First I think you want to manually uninstall CM and make sure that the old plug-in files are really gone from both 64 bit CS4 and CS5.  The CM uninstall routine (I think) is not going to get rid of the old CM plug-in in CS5 and it is possible that for some reason the new plug in is not overwriting the old plug in.  Before you install the beta check to see if the plug in is still there and, if so delete it.  Then download 64 bit CM beta to 64 bit CS4.  Then go to the plugins/filters folder (not the x86 CS4 because that is 32bit) and copy the Curvemeister 8bf plug-in.  Then go to the exact same folder in 64 bit CS5 (again, not the x86 CS5) and paste the CM 8bf plug-in there.  (I think this is what you have done, but since this worked for me I would retrace my steps with you.)

CM is mostly working fine for me on 64 bit CS5.

As Greg constantly reminds us, be sure you are manually or automatically setting regular system restore points before you do this stuff.  I have had a couple of bad experiences where using a restore point quicky and easily helped to get me back on track.

mdavis

Postby mdavis » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:02 pm

Did a manual uninstall, then ran the installer again for 3.2.3 and it works in CS5 64-bit.  :)  No idea why I had problems before except that I used the installer's "uninstall".  CS5 32-bit is also good to go, so I'm back in business.  I've had no problems with the 64-bit version, although I don't use all of the features (see my separate thread on CM with CS5).

If you use CM as much as I do, when you install a new version of Photoshop, it sure seems like something's missing.  I find it very uncomfortable to use the curves in Photoshop after being spoiled by Mike's magic.

Call off the dogs!

Postby -default » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:19 pm

Hi Mike - I'm glad you got Curvemeister back on the air! 

Something clicked as I read your last post - that the uninstaller may be the culprit.  For example, uninstalling the 64 bit version might actually uninstall the support files for 32 bits!  I'll check this when I get access to my development system.

mdavis

Postby mdavis » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:52 am

Well, not sure, Mike.  I don't think I ever lost CM in CS5 32-bit if I recall.  I had the 64-bit demo installed and working like a charm before the time ran out, and the 32-bit always worked, I think.  I don't use the 32-bit CS5 often unless I need some of the older plug-ins that don't work in 64-bit which is not often.  So I don't think the uninstaller bothered the 32-bit, but I'm not sure it uninstalled the 64-bit either.  I may have mis-typed the path for the CS5 installation when running the installer.  Wish I could offer more information.

It would be nice to include CS5 in the checkbox list for the installer when you update things.

Return to “Announcements and New Versions”