Printers

Discuss any photography or computer related equipment here
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:13 pm

I am an enthusiastic amateur currently using an Epson Stylus Photo R285 printer and I want to upgrade to a good quality A3 photo printer, (wireless would be useful).  Any suggestions or guidance on options would be very welcome.

leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:24 pm

Hi Richard :)

What you should buy (and whether you should) kind of depends upon how much money you want to spend. I personally use (and love) Epson Stylus 3880's, but they are quite pricey - you need to be printing a lot of images to justify buying one of those.

I would suggest that you take a look at the reviews on www.printerville.net and listen to this podcast by Derrick Story http://thedigitalstory.com/2011/01/when_to_get_a_new_pr.html, in which he discusses the Epson R3000, and talks generally about buying a new inkjet printer.

All the best,
Lee.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:32 am

Hi Lee

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions which have really helped my search.  And you're right: I can't justify something like the 3880.  At present I'm leaning towards the Epson Stylus Photo R1900 because 1)it's priced at a budget I can afford, 2) it uses pigment inks for better durability, and 3)I'm doing mostly color work, more often than not on gloss paper, for which it appears to get good reviews.  I'd welcome hearing about anyone's good or bad experiences with this machine.

On a parallel topic, does anyone have insights about OEM vs compatible ink cartridges?

Best wishes
Richard

Return to “Equipment”