Piccure+ lens correction software

Found a useful program you'd like to share with others? Commercial announcements are fine, but please keep it brief.
artmar

Postby artmar » Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:03 am

Julie and Martin,

Interesting comments!
Julie, glad you like this newer version as well. I too see a greater sense of depth (which may be due to increasing the contrast) with more latitude for evocation. Also, a sense of a much larger territory to explore (which is the way I think of viewing some abstract art). It's a bit like wandering through a large town or city for the first time -- you have no idea what you're going to find, and it sure is interesting with its strange juxtapositions of all kinds of entities familiar and unfamiliar, which may or may not cohere into a unitary sense of the whole. The Tate Gallery in London had an exhibition that ended in January of late Turner paintings called "Painting Set Free". I'm not sure that painting was unfree before Turner, but he definitely did something quite different to and with it. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get to it, but I'm going to purchase the exhibition catalogue and hope the photographer and printer were up to snuff (i.e., had taken Greg's courses).
Martin, quite a tasty egg you laid, and that's coming from a vegetarian. I think there's an ambiguity in the term "sharpening", but of course you're correct. However, PC+ does permit sharpening simultaneously with deconvolution, and I had the feeling that FM did a little sharpening on the side. Could be wrong. But certainly it's important to distinguish between deconvolution analysis of an image and typical sharpening in the sense of just increasing micro-contrast (although it may be a little more complicated than that). I like your distinction between focusing an image at the beginning and sharpening at the end.
For abstract art, Hortonfogg on Flickr has some beauties I think.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/hortonfogg/with/14529312555/

Cheers,
Art
P.S. I just found these relevant paragraphs on Wikipedia's article on deconvolution that seem not too incomprehensible. I think here the term "sharpening" is once again possibly mis-used.

Optics and other imaging
In optics and imaging, the term "deconvolution" is specifically used to refer to the process of reversing the optical distortion that takes place in an optical microscope, electron microscope, telescope, or other imaging instrument, thus creating clearer images. It is usually done in the digital domain by a software algorithm, as part of a suite of microscope image processing techniques. Deconvolution is also practical to sharpen images that suffer from fast motion or jiggles during capturing. Early Hubble Space Telescope images were distorted by a flawed mirror and could be sharpened by deconvolution.

The usual method is to assume that the optical path through the instrument is optically perfect, convolved with a point spread function (PSF), that is, a mathematical function that describes the distortion in terms of the pathway a theoretical point source of light (or other waves) takes through the instrument.[3] Usually, such a point source contributes a small area of fuzziness to the final image. If this function can be determined, it is then a matter of computing its inverse or complementary function, and convolving the acquired image with that. The result is the original, undistorted image.

In practice, finding the true PSF is impossible, and usually an approximation of it is used, theoretically calculated[4] or based on some experimental estimation by using known probes. Real optics may also have different PSFs at different focal and spatial locations, and the PSF may be non-linear. The accuracy of the approximation of the PSF will dictate the final result. Different algorithms can be employed to give better results, at the price of being more computationally intensive. Since the original convolution discards data, some algorithms use additional data acquired at nearby focal points to make up some of the lost information. Regularization in iterative algorithms (as in expectation-maximization algorithms) can be applied to avoid unrealistic solutions.

When the PSF is unknown, it may be possible to deduce it by systematically trying different possible PSFs and assessing whether the image has improved. This procedure is called blind deconvolution.[3] Blind deconvolution is a well-established image restoration technique in astronomy, where the point nature of the objects photographed exposes the PSF thus making it more feasible. It is also used in fluorescence microscopy for image restoration, and in fluorescence spectral imaging for spectral separation of multiple unknown fluorophores. The most common iterative algorithm for the purpose is the Richardson–Lucy deconvolution algorithm; the Wiener deconvolution (and approximations) are the most common non-iterative algorithms.

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Mon May 11, 2015 4:30 am

http://www.deconvolve.net/
I found some more info to add to the above

artmar

Postby artmar » Mon May 11, 2015 6:39 am

Thanks Ganna, Did you try the software?

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Mon May 11, 2015 7:06 am

No, didn't try software, just saw the website

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Fri Jun 12, 2015 11:17 am

A new update for PC+ is available

artmar

Postby artmar » Fri Jun 12, 2015 12:18 pm

Thanks Martin,

I can see your post in my email, but not here in the thread. Maybe there's still a problem?
Can you see this post?

Art

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Fri Jun 12, 2015 1:06 pm

Same as you; secret page 3

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:09 pm

test

Ganna

Postby Ganna » Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:05 pm

Mike, can see this on my email, but cannot turn to page 3 here in the forum

Ganna