Dynamic HDR Image Processor Program

Found a useful program you'd like to share with others? Commercial announcements are fine, but please keep it brief.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:42 pm

A few years ago while traveling thru Ut/Az with a new camera I started to expose a image at -1, 0, +1. After a while I decided that the 0 image was about on so I stopped (unfortunately). Last year I purchased Photomatix (HDR) and processed these images. I have tried to keep the images toned down and more natural. I have also tried processing a single RAW image at -2, -1, +1, +2 then processing various combinations thru Photomatix. It seems like my best results were at -1, +1. Technically I understand that's not the best but probably ok but for the most critical individuals.

I have recently purchased a camera capable of taking 9 images from -4 to +4 at 6 frames/sec. I haven't tried that yet as I'm still learning to use the camera. Maybe it will be a excuse to take another trip.

One thing I do like about HDR is that it picks up detail in the shadows without using a flash. The image of the P51 is a good example.

There are so many sites on the internet with spectacular images. Like HDR is catching on.
Thanks Joe S

Postby -default » Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:49 pm

Gorgeous images, Joe.  I'd be interested in seeing, for comparison, the +0 version of the airplane, and/or the Bryce image if they are handy.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:48 pm

Mike attached are the two images. These images are the 0 "as shot" and not adjusted in any pgm other than reduced in size. These images were not shot in RAW but jpeg. At the time I didnt feel it necessary to use RAW although I have toyed with it lately as my new camera is very fast with RAW. It just leaves more optins open. I cant say that I could see the difference. I'm not that critical.

The image of Paria Pt was taken with a camera that has a live viewfinder and histogram. While viewing the scene you just hold down a button and the histogram can be adjusted. This camera does not have interchangeable lens but it is the company's "professional" glass. The rear viewfinder is "live" and can be flipped up or down for viewing. It is a perfect camera for taking scene images particularly on a tripod. Unfortunately for normal use the shutter lag can be horrendous under not so ideal conditions.

The image of the P51 was taken with a different camera. The image was taken, the histogram viewed then adjusted to eliminate highlight problems.
Thanks Joe S

Return to “Software”