Dynamic HDR Image Processor Program

Found a useful program you'd like to share with others? Commercial announcements are fine, but please keep it brief.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:29 am

Thanks Fritz...

That is a nice complement...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:18 am

Greg
  Some extreme colours, but interesting. I think the mediachance software looks more user friendly. Will give it test drive.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:12 pm

They (the colors) are right on the edge of extreme.  This image is from the Valley of Fire near Las Vegas.  As sunset approaches the colors in the distant hills are spectacular.  I can tone it down a bit but then it starts to look flat.

I have a long way to go but this is the farthest I have been down the HDR road...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:31 pm

I had some time this AM so I decided to play with HDR. I have included 3 photos. The first is the original, the second adjusted with CM and the third is HDR. HDR is fun and probably has a lot of potential, it makes some dynamic photos. I still am partial to CM and think that next time I will adjust the photo with CM before HDR. I did not spend much time on these.
        Thanks
          Barry

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:24 pm

Almost makes it look like a painting.....

I like the drama....I would agree that you need a strong image to begin with.  It sure helps the highlight detail....

Greg

Postby -default » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:29 am

Some great images here, guys.  I particularly like Greg's Valley of Fire.  It really lives up to its name!

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:36 pm

Greg,

is it also possible to use this sort of treatment on one picture, or is it absolutely necessarily to have more pictures.

Frits

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:59 pm

Fritz,
I used a JPG of Valley of Fire.  1 Image.

I did the following:
Open in PSE.
Open in CM Raise the L Curve in Lab from 50 to 75.  Close image and save as (name)plus1.jpg
repeat for original and raise the 50 value to 99.  Close image and Save as (name)Plus2.jpg
Repeat 2 more times for 50 to 25 saved as (name)Minus1.jpg  and 50 to 0 (name)Minus2.jpg

You will then have 5 files.  use the HDR program to combine these five files.

Advantages: No regestration problems from shot to shot. 
Disadvantages:
You are cheating a bit on the real dynamic range of the image.
You could have some exposure "flat spots" in the highlights.

I have then used the Eye-catching mode of the tone mapping process and then turned the saturation down and played with the dynamic lighting some.

I will say that I I have visited many older images and re-done them in this process using the RAW files instead of the JPG's..they turn out much improved.

Use caution though..some images just do not like to be HDR...they get all muddy and blow out the highlights...I think I need to do many more images this way before I can speak to it much more....

I will say it has been fun to breath new life into my older RAW files...

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:30 pm

Greg, it looks very nice. I say it before. It looks ART.
but I think you can use it on special photo's. like landscapes or something.
It is like Portrait Professional , what i have and also use on special big protrait photo's.
special photo's!

So i will save the adress of this topic to use on a calmly day to investigate it and perhaps apply it.

thanks Artist!

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:42 pm

LOL...

thanks Fritz that is a nice thing to say...

Greg

Return to “Software”