interesting portrait software

Found a useful program you'd like to share with others? Commercial announcements are fine, but please keep it brief.
BBushe

Postby BBushe » Tue Jan 02, 2007 2:23 am

found this advertised on the google ads on the curvemister home page!

http://www.portraitprofessional.com/

looks interesting, and at the discont of 40 quid down to 15 quid I guess worth a try!

I'll give it a go, always looking at time savings :)

bb

Postby -default » Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:43 am

Looks interesting.  I wonder what it would do to a picture of Henry Kissinger - would you get an older version of Brad Pitt? - Mike

Postby -default » Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:25 am

Ok - I downloaded and tried out my proposed experiment, and here are the results.  Henry never looked so good!  Pretty nifty software, I must say.

One interesting thing - they use a server to do the actual image processing.  That's one way to defeat the pirates!

Mike

BBushe

Postby BBushe » Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:52 am

heh, I came to post about it, foir some reason it took a while to get my license:

1: the software sends your picture to their servers for manipulation. It's still quick, the upload and return download are the time consuming bit. if you have a slow connection it would be a serious pain. However if you have fast link it's a painless process. they say if they go out of business they will send out the code to the users...ummm, yeah...

2: works best on full face, which is not always best for portraits :)

3: mechanical, so as Mikes examples show it will blur things you don't want to blur, like glasses quite a bit. you define the area of the face and the effect is confined to that.

4: it reshapes the face slightly too, to make the subject more attractive by some defined standards

5: it's cheap, but a lot of people I know will do a better job manually. But I've shown a couple of examples of some friends to them and they were delighted.

Postby -default » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:26 am

I was surprised at how effective this software was at producing that sort of "formal portrait" look. One thing that's not evident from the examples is that you choose how much distortion, etc, is done on the image using sliders. - Mike

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:59 am

I have bought this software before , I know that this is mentioned on this forum.
I had to think, long or I should buy it.
So, when do you transform a face ?  Mostly not.
the most other things could be done with my plugins.
But, at last the price was cheap, so I have done it.

Frits

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:37 am

I worry that they are building a stock photo library.  They have to record your IP etc for the image engine. and if they process on line you have to send the image up to them.  Do they delete it after the fact??  I thought about it and I'll wait for the home version...

Suspicious
Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:01 am

I worry that they are building a stock photo library.  They have to record your IP etc for the image engine. and if they process on line you have to send the image up to them.  Do they delete it after the fact??  I thought about it and I'll wait for the home version...

Suspicious
Greg

Indeed, I have asked something like that on there forum.
they said you pay once for a lifetime use. Yeah, but when I am 25 ( in reality 65), the possibility is, that I use PP for let us say 50 a 60 years.
So ,all the time internet must work, and there servers too.

Frits

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:00 pm

I worry that they are building a stock photo library. 
Greg

Greg,

thinking about the PP program, I don't believe that the picture goes to the sertver.
Only the places of the anchor-points.
Then, it comes quick back with slightly different places of the anchor-points and farhter it has default values,
based on female or male.
So that is it.

Frits

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:45 pm

Fritz,
How does "it" know that it is moving the correct structure? 
The map has to be an overlay of some kind, otherwise you could not undo the changes.  What if I miss a few pixels when I set the anchor point? 

Seems like they would almost have to have the file to get the pixel values, so they know what they are moving.
I'm certain I am wrong but I can see no other way....

Greg

Return to “Software”