Removing Blue colur cast on Underwater Pictures

This board is for new users looking for some help between the Curvemeister classes.
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:39 pm

Curvemeister allows you to make a mask within the program.  You can choose any channel from RGB,the K from CMYK, HSB and LAB to make the mask.  The Mask channel allows you to adjust the "hardness" of the mask by adjusting the ends of the curves.  You can even curve the mask channel for more advanced effects.  This is a black and white channel based on the contents of the original channel that serves as a "filter" through which your adjustments pass.

I selected the b channel from LAB because it controls the Yellow / Blue axis in the color space.  While the fin looked magenta it was actually measured as more blue.  I measured it with a hue clock added to the frame by Alt-Clicking on the image within Curvemeister.  Once I saw how blue it was by the numbers I narrowed my channel selection to channels that allow me to isolate blue.  The b channel in LAB makes the blues look black so I inverted it so that they would be white.  then I adjusted the slope of the curve to make everything but the fins and some specular areas of the mask to be as black as possible.

Once you have the mask you make some very aggressive moves in the actual color channel as shown in the screen shots..
Let me know if you need more information...
Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:54 pm

Sounds like a powerful way to achieve what you want.
Are there any video clips or lessons that demonstrate this - esp the clock you mention.
About 75% of my pictures are taken underwater when diving, always frustrating that pics are not like it looked like at the time.

Looking like I need to invest in Curvemeister.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:24 pm

There are some videos out here.
I'd like to add your image to the videos if you don't mind...Let me know...

https://www.youtube.com/user/curvemeistervideo

There is also a large section of the CM101 class devoted to masking.  The next class will be announced soon as there was no one interested in the January sessions.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Feb 17, 2013 7:34 pm

Sure .. feel free to use .. taken with a Fuji F31 at 30m depth, at the prop of the world famous wreck "SS Thistlegorm"

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:22 pm

I have posted an updated version of this to Youtube.  It includes the masking at the end.

Greg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QcsHg9K2zyI

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:43 pm

Extra explanation of the mask was good, thnx.
I'll share link with the on-line dive forums.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:00 pm

Awesome...
Anything we can do to spread the word about CM and how to use it is most welcome.

Greg

Return to “Help Me! I'm new and I need some help”