Curvemeister isn't showing up in PhotoShop CS5

This board is for new users looking for some help between the Curvemeister classes.
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:40 am

I am not seeing Curvemeister in Photoshop CS5.  There was nothing in the instruction that specified what folder I should install it to, so I gave it its own folder.  I didn't see anything in PhotoShop.  After some poking around, I saw that the maybe .8bf file should be in the Plug-Ins/Filters folder, so I moved it there.  Still nothing.  There's something like 12 plug-ins already there, and I only see something like 4 of them in PhotoShop's Filters menu.  What did I do wrong?

Thank you for your help.

RobR

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:28 pm

This message has been up for two weeks or so now.  I expected this would be an easy question, and Curvemeister would be glad to help me with it.  It seems I was wrong.  If customer service is this poor, I am not going to buy the product, no matter how good it might be.

Rob Richardson

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 4:53 am

Normally, the support is great here.  Someone must have dropped the ball.

there is a filter 8bf file in programfilesadobeadobe photoshopcs5plug-insfilters

You should allow curvemeister to install itself.  It starts its own directory curvemeister.com in program files and curvemeister.com in program data.  I am just a user.  I suspect the filter points back to those directories to operate. 

You probably should reinstall and allow the default directories. 

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:48 am

I found an E-mail address in one of the FAQ files and sent an E-mail to it.  In a few hours, or possibly even less since I was away from my computer for a while, I had my answer:  the demo only works on 32-bit Photoshop, and I'm running 64-bit Photoshop.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:39 pm

Curvemeister does show up in 32-bit Photoshop now. I first get a dialog box noting the limitations of the demo version, and I click the "Continue with demo" button. Then I get a dialog box saying that my copy of the demonstration version has expired! This despite the fact that your website explicitly states that the demo is not time-limited. This box has a button inviting me to download the latest version of the demo. I click that button, and get a 404 (page not found) error!

Obviously some people have successfully used your product, but you are looking more and more inept to me.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:58 am

:)  :)
I am now much more favorably impressed with CurveMeister.  After reading my latest problem report, a new version of the demo was quickly made available for download, and it worked.

And it worked very well!  I am quite impressed!

I have attached my original file (IMG_5329_original.jpg), my attempt to clean it up in PhotoShop (Nathan and Watermelon.jpg), and the result of using Curvemeister (IMG_5329_curvemeister.jpg).  It took me the better part of an hour to get the PhotoShop version, and the bright areas of his skin still look blown out to me.  It took me only a few minutes to get the Curvemeister version, which I think looks a lot better.  None of his skin is blown out any more.  I'd probably lighten the shadowed side of his face a bit, but I think that's all I still need to do.  I would have liked to adjust the skin tone a bit, since I think the Curvemeister version might be a bit red.  I'm sure I can learn how when I dig a little deeper.

Next I'll try it on a much more typical subject matter for me: trains.

Thanks again to the help team for quick responses once I got noticed!

RobR
Attachments
img_5329_original-jpg
img_5329_original-jpg (45.84 KiB) Viewed 15012 times
nathan-and-watermelon-jpg
nathan-and-watermelon-jpg (47.98 KiB) Viewed 15012 times
img_5329_curvemeister-jpg
img_5329_curvemeister-jpg (48.99 KiB) Viewed 15012 times

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:44 am

IF you like to hit the auto correct button, CM is not for you.  For general scenics (not studio portraits) color correction is essential.  curves are the best and most accurate way to correct.  AND sometimes the color space of choice is not RGB.  For fast accurate manual color correction, curvemeister is great.  Jumping between colorspaces and seeing the masks before you apply them is great. 

They are alive and well at CM.  They do read and respond.  somehow you slipped through.  Happy curving.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:00 pm

I do not like automatic corrections.  I posted the samples above to show that a little work by someone who had never used CM before is better (or at least I think it is) than a lot of work in unaided Photoshop.  I am quite willing to spend as much time as it takes to get my photographs to look as good as possible. 

It looks very much like "As much time as it takes" includes time to learn how to use CM.  Curvemeister 101, here I come!

RobR

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:07 pm

Rob,
First and foremost an apology.  I checked my "viewing log" and I did read your original post.  I did not however respond and for that I am completely sorry. 

I see in another posting that you have hit the wall on another Demo issue and I will be contacting you ASAP to get this resolved. 

We take a fair amount of pride in our customer service and well quite frankly we blew it.  We'll have to find a way to make that up to you but in the mean time I would like to thank you for your persistence and ask that you give us another shot at keeping you as a customer and hopefully friend.  I am going to tag this thread for review by Mike Russell.  I'll also follow up with you off list to make sure that we hear your issues and get you resolved as soon as possible.

To Steve:  Thank you It is your willingness and eagerness to help that may keep Curvemeister in this persons tool box.  We at Curvemeister should never have to rely on our users to provide cover for our lapse in customer service and I want to personally and publicly thank you for putting yourself out there.  It is without doubt one of the kindest things you can do for us.

We need users and customers more than you need us and we will continue to work hard to make sure you have what you need to use and enjoy Curvemeister.

Greg Groess

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:26 pm

Many thanks for your reply.  My impressions of your customer service have completely turned around, and I am very pleased with your responses to my recent questions.

I am dedicated to serious photography, and to getting the best possible results from my tools, including my camera, my lenses, and my post-processing.  I've only played with CM on the one photograph I posted here, but it certainly appears that it will become an important tool in my work.

RobR

Return to “Help Me! I'm new and I need some help”