For discussion...

Postings related to the semi-weekly discussion group.
Tildy

For discussion...

Postby Tildy » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:12 am

There are some interesting thoughts in this article about how photography is changing, and what the new kind of photography is doing to culture(s):

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/dec/27/what-happened-when-six-travellers-were-told-they-were-not-allowed-to-post-to-instagram

julie

Re: For discussion...

Postby julie » Fri Dec 27, 2019 1:49 pm

I read this yesterday. Should make for a lively discussion.

Tildy

Postby Tildy » Sat Dec 28, 2019 1:54 pm

https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1470357207084865

Taking photographs seems no longer primarily an act of memory intended to safeguard a family's pictorial heritage, but is increasingly becoming a tool for an individual's identity formation and communication. Digital cameras, cameraphones, photoblogs and other multipurpose devices are used to promote the use of images as the preferred idiom of a new generation of users. The aim of this article is to explore how technical changes (digitization) combined with growing insights in cognitive science and socio-cultural transformations have affected personal photography. The increased manipulation of photographic images may suit the individual's need for continuous self-remodelling and instant communication and bonding. However, that same manipulability may also lessen our grip on our images' future repurposing and reframing. Memory is not eradicated from digital multipurpose tools. Instead, the function of memory reappears in the networked, distributed nature of digital photographs, as most images are sent over the internet and stored in virtual space.

Obelix10

Postby Obelix10 » Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:48 am

Tildy wrote:https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/1470357207084865

Taking photographs seems no longer primarily an act of memory intended to safeguard a family's pictorial heritage, but is increasingly becoming a tool for an individual's identity formation and communication. Digital cameras, cameraphones, photoblogs and other multipurpose devices are used to promote the use of images as the preferred idiom of a new generation of users. The aim of this article is to explore how technical changes (digitizationmeilleur crédit) combined with growing insights in cognitive science and socio-cultural transformations have affected personal photography. The increased manipulation of photographic images may suit the individual's need for continuous self-remodelling and instant communication and bonding. However, that same manipulability may also lessen our grip on our images' future repurposing and reframing. Memory is not eradicated from digital multipurpose tools. Instead, the function of memory reappears in the networked, distributed nature of digital photographs, as most images are sent over the internet and stored in virtual space.

Hi, are you sure that most images are sent over the Internet and stored in a virtual space?

Tildy

Postby Tildy » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:17 am

Hi Obelix10,

The short answer is: no :D I'm not sure, but I'm also not sure what the alternative would be. What are you thinking about? I think phone photography is now ubiquitous in most places in the world, and at the higher end of photography, sites like flickr and Instagram function as storage, so I can believe the author's assertion that most photos are sent over the internet and stored in virtual space.

Return to “Discussion Group”