how to adjust contrast of the mask in a layer

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
Doug.S

Postby Doug.S » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:12 pm

I have seen (I think) someone adjust the mask in an adjustment (like curves, contrast, etc.) layer by using curves or contrast adjustment....but I can't figure out how to do so except by a brute force iterative solution...there must be an easier way.

Why? Because sometimes a mask is too grayish and I need more contrast in the mask itself.

I can copy the mask, open a new .psd file, paste, adjust that mask as a grayscale image, then copy and paste back into the original mask layer...a lot of steps....especially if it needs more adjusting.

But I thought there is a way (could be a smart layer but I'd like to avoid that too) to use an adjustment (not a permanent image adjustment from the image menu) (another layer?) like invoking a curves adjustment layer to affect only the mask (not the image).

Am I dreaming? or is there an easy way?  I searched Google with every set of words I could think of but it only yields adjustment layers that use a mask; not how to actually adjust the mask alone.

Doug

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:34 am

I just opened an image. Control J - copied. Ran CM and did a wild curve.

(a couple of ways to do this).

click on mask to create a mask. with the white mask in "focus" (meaning brackets around it, if not in focus , click on the mask) .

Apply image- select RGB and normal. Now you have a luminosity mask as some would call it.

With the mask still in focus- run CM. Curve away, invert away, do what you want.

the problem with Photoshop is that you need to know what status you are in, what mode, and what is in focus (which layer or layers or which mask).  I hope that helps.

Doug.S

Postby Doug.S » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:42 pm

I'm copying the text you wrote and will experiment later today...this could be a winner! Thanks.

Doug

EDIT:  Brilliant!  With any layer mask selected (i.e. in 'focus'), I invoke CM and I can directly adjust the mask with the curve and return the adjusted mask to Ps.

While I'm still looking for an even better solution (i.e. see the mask change effects in the color image, in real time -- if that is even possible -- similar to painting in the mask while viewing the selected color image in the same layer),  this is still a major step toward an easier workflow....Thanks again.

Doug

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:57 pm

Photoshop is a strange beast. I find Lightroom to be intuitive. I find photoshop to be dense. Be sure to check for selection, layer selected, where is the focus, what is the function, and what are the parameters of the function. Sometimes I try to do something like brush and "Photoshop is broken." Then I find I have a small selection and that is the only place that is active.

Curvemeister has masks. You can curve those masks.  When you curve the masks you can see the changes to your image. It is very powerful.

You can save the curved masks and paint on them. For me there is a sequence that works. If you have trouble, ask again.

Doug.S

Postby Doug.S » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:06 pm

Thanks, I'll play with adjusting the mask in CM along with the color image in view.....I think you might have the solution in CM rather than in Ps.

EDIT:

Now that was easy to do in CM....adjust and watch the mask or watch the color image...Just what I wanted...CM is amazing as I learn more when I need to do something different/special.

Thanks for the right info to get me in the right direction.

(Since I knew how to save the mask back to Ps and/or take the corrected image back to Ps....seems like I'm all set for now.)

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:49 pm

Doug you can adjust the mask in CM before you copy it out to a layer.  I do this on most every image.  It is simple and fast.

Here is a CM video that should show this off.

https://youtu.be/31yjiaaW958

Greg

Return to “Interesting Images”