Question on rotating curves

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
Doug.S

Postby Doug.S » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:54 pm

Sometimes I use the CM window to rotate a curve...a wonderful tool you have included....and found nowhere else except in CM.

Recently been watching your video from a discussion group on 9-30-2011 where you set two points and rotate them (and then move laterally to reset color balance) to do something similar to MMM tool of PPW.

My question: is there a keyboard tool/shortcut (like arrow keys? or alt+arrow keys) to more easily control the rotation angle in minute increments instead of moving the mouse? Lab is a sensitive color space and small changes can mean a lot, so rotation control of 1.0 or 0.1 degrees would be useful.

Another question: when I go to rotate a curve, there are two numbers shown; they describe a location point but not sure what that does for me as rotation is always about the center or a set point....and of course that point does not move.  And I see I can set two points for an easy way to adjust highlights and shadows contrast equally.  But a readout of 'after' vs. 'before' might be useful to know how much of a change was made.

If not already included (I did not find ), I suggest you create a shortcut ability to control the rotation angle ( + and -)....even if I had to use a text box (like when using to move a point) it would be great...to easily change in any increment, and to see the before/after numbers (probably the angle of change).

Thanks,

Doug.S

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:55 pm

Sometimes I use the CM window to rotate a curve...a wonderful tool you have included....and found nowhere else except in CM.

Recently been watching your video from a discussion group on 9-30-2011 where you set two points and rotate them (and then move laterally to reset color balance) to do something similar to MMM tool of PPW.

My question: is there a keyboard tool/shortcut (like arrow keys? or alt+arrow keys) to more easily control the rotation angle in minute increments instead of moving the mouse? Lab is a sensitive color space and small changes can mean a lot, so rotation control of 1.0 or 0.1 degrees would be useful.

Great Suggestion!  I'll make sure Mike Russell Sees your post.  Currently I do not think we can do that but Mike is pretty resourceful.

Another question: when I go to rotate a curve, there are two numbers shown; they describe a location point but not sure what that does for me as rotation is always about the center or a set point....and of course that point does not move.  And I see I can set two points for an easy way to adjust highlights and shadows contrast equally.  But a readout of 'after' vs. 'before' might be useful to know how much of a change was made.

If you set Hue clocks on the image during the rotation you will see Before and After numbers in the hue clocks.  If you do not see them you need to set that option in the configuration dialog box.  There is a check box for Before/After on the Preview Tab of the dialog.

If not already included (I did not find ), I suggest you create a shortcut ability to control the rotation angle ( + and -)....even if I had to use a text box (like when using to move a point) it would be great...to easily change in any increment, and to see the before/after numbers (probably the angle of change).

Thanks,

Doug.S

I'll pass your suggestions along to Mike.  I'm not quite sure when he'll get a chance to respond.

Greg

Doug.S

Postby Doug.S » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:46 pm

Since I use a & b of Lab, in rotation mode...here is another suggestion still along the lines discussed above....

when rotating by mouse drag in a or b curve window, can you show the curve angle (like + or - xx degrees) (and center point of rotation such as x,y)...why?

Because I sometimes rotate the curves for more color sat. but do not want to change the base colors....meaning a and b curves need to be rotated about the center and rotated the same amount....
but now I am guessing or watching a color pin(s)....when it could be so simple to match rotation angles and know the rotation point (in case I accidently or purposefully move the curve earlier).

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jan 13, 2015 10:22 pm

Hey Doug!

This might be a 2 step process based on how you described it.  If you move the curves you can only rotate segments of the curve inside of any fixed curve points.  The current version of CM will rotate the curve around a single point regardless of it's position but if you change the center of the curve the rotation is always around that new center.

To do this in 2 steps you would make the base adjustment and then apply the curve.  Come back in and make a secondary adjustment to rotate the segments of the specific channel you want to adjust.

I hope I made sense if not keep asking and lets see if we can come up with a solution.

Greg

Doug.S

Postby Doug.S » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:02 pm

I'll comment/question on the simplest and most common usage I have for rotating a curve... create a color layer via CM to blend in Ps layer.

open image in CM,

in a and b, rotate curves CCW by dragging with mouse (handy cursor change to rotate symbol).....to boost sat.

How can I be sure both a and b curves have been rotated exactly the same amount?

Doug

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:25 pm

So long as you have no points set in the curve in LAB the curves rotate on the center axis (neutral) and are linked together so that you do not introduce a color shift and they move the same amount.  It was built to facilitate the man from mars technique at its origin.

The real beauty is in that they can be adjusted independently because in general you want to saturate the B channel more than the A channel.

Further if you want to jump into the deep end of the pool you can enhance only a single side of the A or B channels separately from all of the rest.  This uses the manually built contrast pin in a single channel.  There is a lot more to it but these are some of the reasons the curves are not locked together.

Greg

Doug.S

Postby Doug.S » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:40 am

".....and are linked together so that you do not introduce a color shift and they move the same amount.  It was built to facilitate the man from mars technique at its origin."

On my system, the L, a, and b curves all rotate independently (useful in many circumstances).  But they have never rotated together.  (That is my desired capability....a and b rotate together or each a known amount of rotation so I can manually match them.)

Is there a user pref setting to make them (a and b) sync together?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:02 pm

the saturation slider not the framed edge. 

In LAB on the bottom of the curve window is a slider bar labeled saturation.  This slides but curves the same amount.

Doug.S

Postby Doug.S » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:50 pm

Learned something new...Thanks,  works just fine and answers my question/suggestion!

Return to “Interesting Images”