An essay on where photography is headed...Please feel free to discuss.

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:29 pm

tmanley

Postby tmanley » Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:59 pm

I agree with most of what he says about the graying of the photography market; however, not all of the old dinosaurs used huge Nikons and Canons.  Size and weight were always important to those of us who did editorial work and carried our cameras with us to remote places.  He says:

"In this world a powerful camera that's small enough and light enough to go with you anywhere (phone or small camera) trumps the huge camera that may generate better billboards but the quality of which is irrelevant for web use and social media."

With the Leica M's and film, we always had the best of both worlds ;-)

Tina

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Indeed...

I'm wondering what you think of the trend to put crappy images out there without too much editing.  Is it the instant everything culture?  or is it the same as before only now we see all the crappy pictures because no one has to pay for processing and the internet is too easy to post to? 

I feel like I am constantly looking into the junk drawer and seeing photos no one would bother to show anyone before.

Greg

tmanley

Postby tmanley » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:26 am

Yes, I see way too many awful photos posted, not only on social networks but also in stock agencies like Alamy, which does not edit for content.  The worst I've seen lately are Martha Stewart's photos of food:  http://jezebel.com/martha-stewart-cant-stop-tweeting-really-gross-picture-1466779005

What was she thinking!!??  Those are the most unappetizing photos of food that I have ever seen.  My own daughter posts out of focus photos of the grandkids, taken with her phone, on Facebook.  I love photos of my grandkids but cringe when I think how much better they could have been with a proper camera and lens!  The ones posting photos taken with a phone are not really interested in photography or getting good photographs.  They are only communicating with their friends.  The ones who should be ashamed are the professional or advanced amateur photographers who post everything without editing.  Editing is not easy.  I have had to hire people to edit for me and still don't understand what they choose and why.  We are always our own worst editors.

Tina

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:33 pm

Worst editors:
I hear that I am preparing for a show at a local hospital.  Healing environment stuff...Mostly nature and scenery I have over 80 images that I have got to reduce down to 20.  I have been having people just look at the images and I have been a listener...reactions include, grunts, sighs...then dialog...It is really interesting how people react to an image when they know you want an opinion on it.  Suddenly everyone is a art curator.  i'm not complaining I am just observing. 

Where is the editor when they post to FaceSpace and MyBook... (Word play intended people...)

So you are chalking the bad images up to communication?  Interesting so instead of a thousand words people are going with a crappy image...Makes perfect sense then.  Most people; myself included are poor communicators...using an image to send the message would not change that.

Greg

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:21 pm

I music the crowd like mp3 which sound like  #@@ because it is easy and cheap.  iPhone photos, mp3 music, 140 character (twitter) essays.  Video games gross more than movies. 

Call me an old fogy.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:11 pm

Oh no..not at all.  Nothing old fogy about it... I have introduced my kids to Vinyl records again...they are absolutely amazed that we gave up the sound quality for the convenience. 

Then they plug into the MP3 player and turn it up...

Laughing a lot lately...

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:24 am

LP are getting rediscovered now.  Very in and very expensive.  You can buy turntables for thousands.  I liked my laser disks.  Never did 8 tracks.  Hated polaroid.  and those stupid carosel cameras.  And slide shows.  I bought a fax machine that did a page a minute on thermal paper for over $3,000.

Some old tech we cannot wait to get rid of. 

imported_julie

Postby imported_julie » Sat Nov 23, 2013 5:50 am

There were always happy snaps, but they were locked away in an album or only displayed at those awful family slide nights
It seems to me its the same, but on steroids.
Hundreds of photos cost nothing to take, don't need to be printed and can be instantly displayed online, to everyone.

Its not just photos - have you seen what passes for legitimate writing?

If 1 in 1000, or even 1 in 10,000, start to wonder what they could do with their images, how they could make them better, how to understand or even control any of the myriad of possibilities in their images, photography will thrive.
I really believe that there are individuals who will want to explore and master photography.

I write every day - lists, reminders, stuff, emails, txts.
Its rubbish but I write to communicate quickly and easily.
I am not capable of writing a great novel but I still write.
I think most images are like this.
People just want to show you what is happening.
But just now they can show the whole world everything, instantly.

I do however find it frustrating when I am shown photos taken by friends - I have learnt not to point out that the sand is blue, the people are yellow and the focus is off.
I'm not a great photographer, but friends and family do ask how I get the colour the way it is, or the contrast - thanks Curvemeister.

So I don't think photography will disappear. I have a little point and shoot for when I cant be bothered lugging my big camera and lenses.
I also have a phone and I use it to take images for reminders, to send to family and sometimes just cause its there.
But I love my real camera (even though its probably not that good), I love taking the time to get the image I want and I love editing it to make it my image.
I also love the frustration of learning (thanks for your patience Greg).

It wont be photography for everyone, but people find their passion.

Julie

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Nov 24, 2013 4:03 pm

So the digital snappy posted to some internet share site is the equivalent of a short note or a doodle? 

OK..so then where does that put people who want to make images better?  Are we being beaten to the punch with instant drivel?  Does our "passion" result in better communication or just more time spent representing the image?  Is our penmanship so nice people are not taking the time to read the note?

Again...Opinions wanted...
Greg

Return to “Interesting Images”