Raw Codex Question?

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:01 pm

I recently rebuilt my computer, reinstalled all software and now I am unable to see the RAW thumbnail in Elements and other folders. The "freeware" I previously used (FastPictureViewer) now wants to add all sorts of other features (search engine etc). Does anyone use a freeware pgm that will show the RAW thumbnails without the "extra" features or should I just bite the bullet and buy one.
Thks Joe S

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:26 am

What camera do you use??
Most of them have a codec for the WIN OS.  My Nikon NEF files are viewable in the windows file manager.
If you have elements you should also have the organizer...it should show all your RAW files correctly.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:08 am

Greg, I have a Nikon D300 and a Canon S90. I don't use the organizer as I don't like the way it organizes. I have my own system.  When I look at my computer file folder or open a folder in Elements it just shows a block with NEF NX2 or a nice flower with IMGXXX. I doesn't recognize the Canon S90.  As I said previously Fast Picture Viewer would show the thumbnails. Now the "freeware" wants to load a bunch of junk on my computer that I don't want. So maybe I'll just spend some money and get what I want.
Thks Joe S

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jun 30, 2013 1:01 pm

Have you tried this codec from Microsoft??

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=26829

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:28 pm

Greg, I have not tried the Microsoft codex. But reading the data it sounds like it should work. It covers both my cameras.
Thks Joe

Return to “Interesting Images”