CM and HDR workflow

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Mon May 27, 2013 4:29 pm

I would like to know what your workflow is with HDR images. Do you do anything to the individual images before merging them to HDR (Photomatix, Photoshop or HDR Effex Pro or...)
I find that many of my HDR images do suffer from colour illnesses; Do you do any "colour" work in the HDR merging process or do one only do that afterwords in PS plus CM?
Example here was 3 images, merged and lastly handled as if only one
Attachments
lake-panic-jpg
lake-panic-jpg (999 Bytes) Viewed 5939 times

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon May 27, 2013 5:08 pm

If it is any help, I use EnfuseGUI on 3-9 images and then manually paint in areas from some of the exposures to emphasize certain objects.  I then start with CM etc as though it was a normal single exposure image.
I only run the images through CombineZ beforehand, if they were handheld, to align them.

EnfuseGUI  is not a 'normal' HDR program and produces realistic images most of the time although normally on the light side.
I have not noticed any colour problems introduced by this method, although sometimes I will paint in a lighten area in colour blend mode to help very dark shadow areas pick up some colour.

I like free programs, unless I need them all the time (like CM), so I did a comparison http://www.broadhurst-family.co.uk/lefteye/MainPages/HDR.htm of 4 methods.  I do not think it is very meaningful, but why don't you try the same with your images - or post some and see what we can all come up with using our methods?

Just looking at that web page, I noticed I used Reindeer's histogram program - it is about the only one with a meaningful Zone scale, if you are playing with the Zone System.

Regarding your image, I find the right tree bank a little too bright and colourful, but love the sky and reflection.
All the best,
Zog

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Mon May 27, 2013 5:42 pm

Thanks Chris, your input is always valuable  :)

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Tue May 28, 2013 12:43 pm

I have used Enfuse as well very interesting little program...
It has a fairly steep learning curve but the results are very nice...

Greg

Return to “Interesting Images”