Future of Photoshop

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Fri May 10, 2013 4:14 pm

I see there is a lot of dust and sparks flying because of the Cloud issue concerning Photoshop. How wil this affect CM in the long run? Mike, are you considering to make CM a more independant or standalone  plug-in who would be able to interface with programs other than PS.  Surely time will tell, but fortunately we would be able to go on for quite some time in PS CS6. There are so many people out there fighting and steaming, that I can just as well relax, sit back and stop stressing :)

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri May 10, 2013 4:40 pm

perhaps it is time to see if CM will work with Photoline (http://www.pl32.com/)!

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Fri May 10, 2013 5:32 pm

Chris, are you familiar with photoline?  If yes, what do you think of it?

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri May 10, 2013 5:57 pm

nope, but I was told it is a good photoshop equivalent and mean to try it sometime
certainly ColorMechanic, which works with it (& photoshop?) seems rather a neat way to do colour correction
I have both on my list to check out - if I ever get the time!

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Sat May 11, 2013 4:42 pm

When someone complains about the cost, they are really complaining about the quality.  IF Adobe gave us compelling reasons to upgrade, most serious users would be on the current version.    That is the problem with "mature" software. 

Once upon a time, office programs were not mature.  Updates could give compelling reasons.  I paid more than $100 for an upgrade of Lotus 1-2-3.  It had one feature that was great.  (this dates me)  It allowed me to print spreadsheets that were wider than a page.  I grumbled, but paid. 

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun May 12, 2013 2:22 pm

Curvemeister CURRENTLY only works with Photoshop and Elements. 
The current version of CM will work with the new PS CC. 
If there are issues, most likely it will be an installer issue rather than a compatibility issue.

I share your concerns about the future of access to quality photo processing software.  While elements will keep people happy for a while what will happen if the winds of change blow again and Adobe moves PSE to the cloud or worse decides it is too much trouble to  continue development on the software...

There are alternatives like the ones you have mentioned and others such as GIMP.  I hope that Adobe sees the loss of subscribers and changes it's mind about the Cloud based subscription model.  Only time will tell. 

Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Sun May 12, 2013 2:29 pm

I see Scott Kelby is suggesting to Adobe to release a Photographers version of PS, stripped of all the fillters and paraphinalia that we dont need. We'll keep on listening

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun May 12, 2013 4:36 pm

Add to that Dan Margolis saying he is not in the cloud and it just keeps getting interesting...
Greg

imported_ganna

Postby imported_ganna » Sat May 18, 2013 10:31 am

I live in South Africa, very far away from you guys. I ordered Dan's new book and it only arrived yesterday; I think it was sent by oxwagan from the USA.  What I'm waiting for now is Dan's upgrading of his PPW, version X.x with CM incorporated ;)
Greg, please don't get impatient with me, but I'm still dreaming of CM201. Who knows, PPW with CM as a standalone program (just dreaming)

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sat May 18, 2013 2:09 pm

Martin,
All the PPW does is bring together a collection of actions that already exist in PS or have been recorded by Dan and optimized. 

The 201 class is basically all the things we have been talking about and working on; along with additional teaching as to why some things should be done and others not done co-mingled with some of the learning from Dan and a healthy dose of CM to do most of the heavy lifting...

It is my hope that it will teach you how to see the problems and then give you some tools to help you fix them.  Seeing is the key...

I am trying to make 201 happen this year...it is a daunting task for me...but the last class was awesome and they really have me energized to get this done.
Greg

Return to “Interesting Images”