Photoshop Actions and Scripts...The Sacred Cows...

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Aug 23, 2012 2:57 pm

Please feel free to read and comment on the article attached below....

Greg
Attachments
the-sacred-cows-pdf
(999 Bytes) Downloaded 1 time

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:21 pm

Interesting article Greg,

one small typo I noticed "I know we don’t have time for ALL of that messing" and I would also keep the left/right split consistent on the blown up images under the 2 processed images (but that is not really important).

Perhaps one should also ask the question - why are we post-processing? 

99% of all the images I keep are pp'd.  I expect to spend less than a minute on the snapshots, but any amount of time on the really important ones and of course somewhere in between.

As well as colour and tone corrections there are also things like composition, tonal framework, noise, lens focus and distortion etc. that may need correcting - I use actions to kick off all of these, BUT ALSO, most importantly, as a check list of the things I should consider when 'improving' an image.  When you get to my ripe age you may need something to help the little grey cells remember what to do next!

I therefore arrange my actions in groups that represent my work-flow and the action names then remind me to consider steps that I can take.

I feel one needs to qualify/categorise actions a little.

a) For instance (and this is one that you may agree with!)
"Start CM on a new layer of the current Image" - saves me key and mouse stokes - just one click to start CM (as my Action palette is always visible).

If I want to try different ideas on solving a problem (for example using CM), then I keep firing it up on new layers (of the original) so that I can quickly compare them by switch layers on/off and throwing away the ones that are worse.

I probably have half a dozen Actions that prepare layers for me so that I can then start to do things.  Because I am an amateur and do not necessarily feel that I get things right the first time, I do all changes on new layers so that I can easily back track or moderate the effect.  I rarely flatten as I go along.  Having Actions saves me time with this approach.

b) There are a few useful actions - like Creating 1/3rd Grid lines, or Lightening Shadows.

c) Then there are those that are really quite complex involving plenty of steps.  These place the result in a new Set, so that I can adjust the level/blend and easily throw it away if I do not like the result.  Typically these are for Contrast and Sharpening.

d) Other actions are present to remind me how to do things - for instance removing lens glare (problem with 19mm lenses inside buildings) or running Jacob's Ladder.

e) Lastly there are the special effect ones which can sometimes enhance an image - for instance Sky darkening.

I am so lazy (?) that I have an action - "Dodge&Burn" that makes two Curve adjustment layers (in Luminosity blend) called "Darken" & "Lighten", so that I can just jump into curving and masking without forgetting to name the layer or set the blend mode!!

So I would argue that Actions are great if they are created to help and remind one, but I would agree that they are not to be used instead of DIY.  I also think that one should write, or adapt other people's actions before using them.  I have been lucky in not finding the sort of actions you mention in your article.

To answer the question "why publish actions for free" - it took me a long time to get into digital post-processing and I did not find it easy to get help on the web, so if (by publishing my actions) I can help somebody else, that is great.  Also it helps me to remember (age problem again) by recording my journey down this fascinating road.

Only the other day I added a new action - "Auto-Level each rgb channel (separately) into a new Luminosity layer" - as a quick and dirty way of Contrast processing snapshots from an idea you gave in one of your video calls!!  Can be a bit more effective than Photoshop's Image>Adjustments>Auto-Levels and quicker to kick off, moderate or throw away than manually interacting with Photoshop.  I have even used it on serious images before starting CM - oh horrors - but then one of the things I learnt on the CM course was to cheat wherever possible!!

I generally agree with your title "Photoshop actions that ADJUST your images", but think that they are an important tool in pp'ing and that the article needs to really state the difference between the types of Actions we have and give some examples of 'bad' ones.  Plus perhaps acknowledge Actions that can help in the non-colour/tone changes that we make to images.

I enjoyed reading the article and sorry for the long reply that is a bit off topic, but I hope it is of some help.
Chris

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:37 pm

Chris,
I would have to say that overall actions that set the table and help you stay on track are grand and wonderful time savers but these actions that you use, you have written, and you know what is under the hood.  I would not begrudge you in the least for using actions like that and in fact I would say more power to you for keeping your head on straight and shortening your work flow. 

Even the actions you describe for working on shadows and highlights fall into that category since you have taken the time to understand the process and write the action.  Does every image use all the actions??  Of course not; the problem is there are many users out there that run actions in groups or from tool bars and have not taken the time you have to understand them.

My grudge is based in frequent questions and comments in class and on other boards where people have said..."I have run such and such action and I keep trying but I can never seem to get the image complete in less than X minutes and no matter how hard I try I keep running into Y problem".  To me this means that the user has no understanding of what is going on in the action and should really think about why they are using it rather than just using it because it was posted on a forum board and accepting that the action is the right solution.

I have had frequent questions about actions from Dan Margulis for instance where people swear they are getting great results and yet they are amazed at what we teach them to get out of the image using much more understandable tools; Curvemeister among them..  To me as these actions become more popular and frequently used they reduce the skill level of the users who have not yet taken the time to learn them and worse yet they cause people to accept a canned solution to an image problem without doing the previewing and analysis required to understand what is really wrong in the image and working with the least amount of adjustments to make the corrections needed.

As to your question - Why are we post processing?  I would respond with - because of the limitations of the digital image we are forced to adjust the images in post production to meet our expectations for the image. We have also been taught by critics, industry and advertising that images that do not look a certain way are not as good as images that they claim have that certain "look".  I have been trying in my own work and teaching to accept that the look of the image can be an expression of the artist and may not need "correction".  Are there technical things I can find wrong with most images? Sure, if the image is shown with a request for help I will certainly tell them what I think is wrong or missing but if it's posted for show (Steve's farm scene for instance..) I have been working on trying to see the image Steve's way and appreciating what he has added to the image that was captured. 

Since the digital image is interpreted multiple times by the camera, by the computer I open it on, and by the printer that I send it to, I post process to maximize my vision for the image based on the "usual" responses from each of these interpreters.

And lastly for now...Are you Lazy? 

Hardly...I would say that after learning the process and the tools you have taken the time and effort to reduce your work load and speed your process by removing some of the mechanical things that are repetitive.  I notice that in your descriptions most of your actions do something mechanical or preparatory but infrequently do they involve an adjustment...I say bravo to you for you have not fallen for the "magic" as much as you have leveraged the tools. 

Respectfully
Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Sep 18, 2012 6:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to mention that we've posted this article out to the Curvemeister website now (http://bit.ly/cm-sacredcows). Thanks to Chris' feedback we've improved (hopefully  ;)) the layout of the images, so hopefully you'll see the difference between the Actions/Curvemeister-workflow more clearly.

We'd love to hear your feedback! (You can add your comments directly on the CM website, underneath the article).

Do you have any Photoshop Actions that you find indispensable in your color-correction/enhancement workflow? Do you do all of your work in Curvemeister?

Please share your thoughts,
Lee.

http://bit.ly/cm-sacredcows

Return to “Interesting Images”