Do you see what I see?

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:01 pm

Well - I could have gone out last night (UK Riots: www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14453918), but I decided to stay at home and watch a documentary about color perception...

I'm posting a link to the program in the hope that wherever you happen to be in the world, you'll be able to see it (I'm under the impression that the BBC have made their on-demand TV service - the BBC iPlayer - available worldwide): it was amazing!

The iPlayer link is: http://t.co/1DJxGRK; there are also a few pages on the BBC that discuss the program a little bit - so if you don't see this post before they take the program down, you will still be able to get the gist of it. Having said that, please let me know if you cannot see the program, but would like to... The other pages are here: www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14421303 and here: www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/tv/2011/08/horizon.shtml

It was an amazing program. For me the biggest takeaway was that memory colors are so important because they are the only colors that we all agree on - everything else is subjective: so, in a sense, it seems that everyone is color blind. Also, don't color correct when you're feeling anxious - I'll leave you to watch the show to find out why ;)

Enjoy,
Lee.

sjordan93436

Postby sjordan93436 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:18 am

sorry, the BBC limits the video to Great Brittan.  I could read the other links.  Since the BBC produced the video they own it?  It should not be like Netflix or Hollywood where they want to limit / control  content. 

Also, walk away from important corrections and come back later.  AND have another look at them.  I had a photo with a friend.  I worked hard to get the colors right in the landscape background and the skin, I gave the hair an unnatural tint.  I missed it completely.

Black and white anyone?

leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Hi Steve,

I think that the BBC have released an iPlayer application that allows global access, however I'm not sure which devices the app is available for. I have downloaded the programme - it may be possible for me to help you out...

Cheers,
Lee.

leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:01 pm

Well, what do you know... I've been trying to get a copy of this for you all, only to find that someone else has beat me to it, and put the whole thing onto YouTube. I guess that I'm showing my age by not having checked there in the first place!

Anyhow, the YouTube link is: http://youtu.be/F2b7kdmWLTw

The person who uploaded it has broken the programme into 4 parts; the link above will take you to the first 15 minutes of the documentary.

Enjoy,
Lee.

leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:15 pm

Unfortunately, the YouTube link posted above no longer works.

I can't find the whole episode on YouTube any more, but here is a link to one of the most interesting sections from the programme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b71rT9fU-I

Watch it while you can!

Cheers,
Lee.

Niels Rasmussen

Postby Niels Rasmussen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:52 pm

Hi Lee, I also saw this programme (sorry for the late response) and as you rightly say, it was fascinating. I was interested in the notion that reds are an 'acquired' colour sensation as opposed to the blues and greens which are an innate colour sensation. I don't know if I've phrased that correctly, but it seemed to me that's what they were saying. I too, didn't venture out during the riots, although Lancaster (in sunny Lancashire) is a bit far removed from the hubbub :)

Return to “Interesting Images”