"By-the-Numbers" Checklist

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
leeharper_admin

Postby leeharper_admin » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Thanks Ganna ;)

Please let me know as and when you have any suggested improvements.

I'm already beginning to think about version two; I've been thinking that "By the Numbers" is often talked about as "Color by the numbers" - which made me think "Why can't this be split up into separate 'Color BtN' and 'Luminosity BtN' sections?"

I've not heard anyone really discuss the application of 'By the Numbers' principles to luminosity (other than shadow/highlight target points), but Greg's Zone System pins have convinced me that it's a promising approach. It might not come to anything, but I think that it is worth investigating. I'm thinking that predominantly it would be helpful to know tonal relationships between common objects, rather than absolute values: knowing that reflections in water are one-stop darker than the actual objects, is useful; as is tanned skin is one zone darker than untanned skin... These kind of numeric rules would be useful regardless of the way that an image was lit - I think that there is something here...

Anyway, if you have any ideas/opinions...

BTW, I'm off to London tomorrow for a three-day color correction course. Wish me luck!

Cheers,
Lee.

Return to “Interesting Images”