Re: I would like some suggestions for topics to include in CM201-Beyond The Basics.

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
ggroess

Postby ggroess » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:18 pm

Indeed it might but in the mean time have you looked at the Library curves for some fast corrections from Daylight to Tungsten? 

See attached Screen shot. 

There may be a better starting point for your light balance challenged images.

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:45 pm

Greg,

I like all the topics you propose and your idea to work on a few "problem" picts/week.  I also second the suggestion to talk about workflow and I would be particularly interested in any time saving tips in using CM.

Covering all this might take more than 4 weeks?

Gus

Alex314

Postby Alex314 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:07 am

Greg,
thanks for your response: I never knew there was such a library (don't hit me - ouch!!). I will certainly look at it. In the mean time: what happens to r, g, and b when you go let's say from 2500 to 6000 K?

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:02 am

hmmm??? many things...let me look at some images and see if I can work up an example....

Stand by....

Greg

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:05 am

You could do an experiment, however to start the ball rolling - I took these images on my first CM course to see if I could convert one to t'other - I failed of course! (and I think it is impossible to get right - am I correct Greg?).

I include the RGB channels - is it obvious which belongs to which?

I think one needs a better image with more colours and variation (perhaps a print test image) for a proper experiment.

ggroess

Postby ggroess » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:09 pm

Getting it right in this area can be very subjective. 
I usually find that if I get parts of an image right I also get parts of it wrong.  It usually comes down to acceptable compromises.

For a scene like this one, where are converting to Daylight I can usually do a better job of "getting it right"  I have better visual references to work with. 

When you have a daylight balance and indoor lighting it gets very muddy, very fast.  Many times with "mixed" lighting you have a strong color cast that you can get rid of only to find a second color cast that is creating problems in the image.  An example would be a church with stained glass windows or sodium lights with florescent in the background. 

Any mixed lighting scene is a "special" challenge and can require multiple steps, masking, and even color space changes. 

Bad color balance can be overcome....http://www.curvemeister.com/forum/index.php?topic=2222.0

Greg

Return to “Interesting Images”