Question: Process for combining images where exposure is different

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...
mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:47 pm

Does anyone have a detail procedure (or know the where abouts) for PSE3 or PSE4 which will allow combining two identical images; where one is exposed for the shadow area and the other for highlights. The purpose is to eliminate the need for a graduated neutral density filter.
Thanks Joe S

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:55 pm

Does anyone have a detail procedure (or know the where abouts) for PSE3 or PSE4 which will allow combining two identical images; where one is exposed for the shadow area and the other for highlights. The purpose is to eliminate the need for a graduated neutral density filter.
Thanks Joe S

Joe,
I have PSE4 and I don't understand what you say.
When I have a picture not good in the shadows and also not good in the highlights, you can make a copy with CRTL+ J.
Then you have a layer with the same image and the source layer.
When you like , you can can make masks on each layer if you like,
One for highlights and on the other layer for shadows.

Is this what you mean about combining 2 identical images?

Frits

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:19 pm

Frits, no that is not what I am looking for. When a scene has too much contrast for either film or digital CCD a photographer will reduce the amount of light in the highlight portion by using a graduated neutral density filter. Thereby only taking one exposure.

With digital many photographers are taking two meter readings. One for shadow the other for the highlight. Without moving the camera, two images are taken, one at each exposure setting.
The two images are combined in Photoshop. Using layers, the two images are manipulated so that only the portion with the correct exposure is displayed in the single image. In that process the shadow and highlight end up the correct exposure eliminating the need for using a graduated neutral gradient filter.

The process is mentioned quite often (but without the detailed procedure) for Photoshop (7 and CSE). I have not seen it mentioned for PSE4.  I would like to use this (or similar) procedure so that I would not have to purchase and carry the filter.

As a  side note. The July 2006 issue of Outdoor Photographer pg 68 has a article "Double Processing Raw". The author took one image of a overly contrasted scene and used a graduated neutral density filter to hold back the highlight. He left the shadow underexposed and explained " messing with the exposure for the shadows could have introduced noise". He then proceeds to explain how to douple process the one image. He processed it for the highlight, then for the shadows. This is interesting but not what I am looking for.

Frits, Thanks for your interest. Maybe this explanation will help you (or someone else) understand what I am looking for.
Joe S

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:43 pm

Frits, Thanks for your interest. Maybe this explanation will help you (or someone else) understand what I am looking for.
Joe S

Joe, I am a ordinary photographer.
indeed I know the existence of density filters, but I never use them.
The only filter that I have now is a UV filter.
For about 20 years ago I had a handhold colorimeter and also correcting filters.
What you do is like a prof. doing it , I think.
You use a tripod I think to do such a thing.
I can't help you, but the explanation of your doing is clear for other people  to help you.
Perhaps Mike Russell knows about these things.

Frits

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:08 am

Frits, just plain Joe. No professional photographer. I just dont like carrying any extra stuff around. All I want to carry is camera with lens and polarizing filter if I think I might use it.
Thanks Joe S

BBushe

Postby BBushe » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:10 pm

there are several ways to do the combination in photoshop, but I do not know PSE at all. I can outline a quick and dirty method for PSCS2, maybe you can translate it for PSE?

create two images, 2 or more stops separated, or even more. You have a dark version and a light version:

1, select the dark images (ctrl-a to select all) and copy it (Ctrl-c).
2, select the light image and past (Ctrl-v) the dark image into it. This creates a layer with the dark image.
3, add layer mask to the dark layer (click on the little rectangle with a circle in the layer palette)
4, select light layer, select all (ctrl-a) and copy it (ctrl-c)
5, select the layer mask on the dark layer (this will be a white rectangle on the dark layer in the layer palette) and paste the light layer into that. everything goes monotone.
6, go to /filter/blur/guassian blur and slect a radius of 50-ish.
7, select the light layer flatten the image.

sorry if this is a bit cryptic, but that's myshortcut notes for it. I think I got it from an EOS magazine a year or two back. The image may look a bit odd, so dive into curvemeister and return it to beauty. Also some noise from the darker version may creep in. I wonder if it could be turned into an action?

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:18 pm

BBushe, thanks I'll try it next week. Do you know what the purpose is for the step using the Gaussian blur?
Thanks Joe S

BBushe

Postby BBushe » Tue Jul 25, 2006 9:10 pm

hmm, should have mentioned that to select the layer mask you need to alt-left click in the mask, before pasting the copy of the light version.

the guassian blur is applied to the layer mask, so only the mask should be blurred. The radius setting acts as a feather, but can create a halo effect around the masked objects. you can reduce the halo, by reducing the radius. again this is not my method, so any improvements would be welcomed!

BBushe

Postby BBushe » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:27 am

here's another method, based on photoshop and camera raw.

http://www.adobe.com/digitalimag/pdfs/highlight_recovery.pdf

by Jeff Schewe.

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:24 am

Don't know if this will help you or not, but might be of interest:

disclaimer: ;D  I have no financial or any other interest in this program, except that I purchased the tone mapping plugin for photoshop.

http://www.hdrsoft.com/

There is also some information here:

http://www.naturescapes.net/072006/rh0706_1.htm

Return to “Interesting Images”