Calibration devices

Found an Interesting Image? Link it here...

Postby -default » Fri May 26, 2006 6:12 am

Monitor calibration devices keep getting cheaper and cheaper.

Currently, the two cheapest that I know of are the Pantone Huey, and the Colorvision Spyder2Express - both cost in the neighborhood of $80 US dollars, with the Spyder2Express coming in a little lower.

I'd welcome comments from anyone who has had experience with these, or other devices.

Mike

mikemeister_admin

Postby mikemeister_admin » Mon May 29, 2006 5:12 am

I recently bought Monaco Optix XR PRO.  This included a calibration target for my scanner and printer, but a version for just monitor calibration is also available.  It keeps a trend of your screens performance, so you can see what's the screen's inherent variability and whether there is a (deteriorating) trend.

I needed something that would work for my LG Flatron LCD screen -- a normal, commercial screen which is not designed for photographic work.  This worked beautifully.  I am now down to throwing out about 10% of my prints because they do not look they way they did on the screen, down from about 300%.  I only use OEM printer ink and paper.  At the moment I am limited by the brightness that my screen can achieve.  I have to have bright light in the study when doing colour correction work, since I'm on the limit of my screen's setting.  I am sure that's why not all prints are perfect yet.

Just my 2 cents.  I just downloaded the demo of curvemeister, and will start experimenting next weekend.

Christelle Jansen van Rensburg

Return to “Interesting Images”